Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here is the deal. I have a 70 chevelle w/ a 327, 2200-2400 tci stall, th350 tranny w/ shift kit, and a 12 bolt 3.73 posi rearend.
I wish i could put a big block in it but nobody seems to want to give any up and plus i don't have any money for one anyhow. So here is where i need your help to make my 327 one hell of a runner, im talking something very very angry that can still be driven on the street on occasion and use pump gas. The 327 as is right now has 650 mech. secondary holley carb, the cam is a comp xe 274 cam .487-.490 lift w/ 230-236 dur. at .050 lift,world products sportsman dual plane intake, sportsman 2 heads 64cc 200cc runners and 2.02 1.60 valves, flat top hyperuetectic pistons and the bottom end is stock except arp rod bolts. The compression is around 9:3.1. Now right now im thinking about taking the heads off and getting them a good port/polish job to let the 327 breath a little better and im also thinking about choosing a bigger cam and get a bigger stall converter to match. Basically improve on what i already have. I am totally lost on what cam to choose, weather it be roller, solid, or hydraulic i need help. I would like to avoid the solid cam route if possible but i want something that will really make my chevelle a solid runner at the track, i mean really run hard down the track, make people go wow that cant be a 327. So far its best time is 14.7 and im not happy with it at ALL. I want it down in the low 13s or 12s without spending a fortune, to give you an idea im an 18 year old college student going for my 2 year associates degree in automotive technology and i work at a local tire lube express shop for money (which isnt much, especially when i get done paying bills and such). Please anybody and everybody i need help deciding what to do with my 327. Any help is extremely appreciated.
-Thanks
Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
well porting your heads is probably not the best plan. First of all if you have no experience doing it you're going to have to practice on about 8 sets of heads to do it right. Otherwise you'll shell out enough money to make buying a new set worth your while.

You're about at your limit potential for the street. That cam is a pretty good size...

If you want the car in the 12's I would get a solid roller cam in the 292 range with about 11:1 compression, some 1 3/4 headers and plan on spinning the motor to about 6500 RPM with a 3000 stall. 750 carb. You'd have to replace everything man, I really don't know what yo tell you otherwise.

Run N20?

K

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah sorry i forgot to note that i would have a local machine shop do the port/polish work if i decided. Also would it be possible to make a 350 or 383 out of my 327. It is a 68 large journal 327 and i have it bored .060 which is about the limit i believe. Im just trying to make my options open but i would like to keep it a 327 if possible, plus that would save money im sure.

·
Administrator
18,429 Posts
For a 383, you need a 400 block. You could put a 400 crank in your 327 for 377 cu in, plus your .060 overbore.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
:rolleyes:

350 and 327 are basically the same block. Same bore. Yes you can put a 400 crank in it. NO you won't have a 377, you'd have a 383.

377 is a 350 crank in a 400 block.

K

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
There are a couple other things you could do. Either have a professional shop port your heads, or buy a new set of heads that are already ported, either way, I would get a hydraulic roller cam . From what I have seen, for a full port job, you are looking at $800-$1200 to get the heads rebuilt with new springs locks and retainers for the new cam. What I would do, is buy a new set of AFR CNC ported 195cc or 180cc heads, and have them mill the heads to 58cc which would put at around 9.9:1 compression. Then get a hydraulic roller cam (something like the XR288HR, 236 242 @ .050, .520 .540 lift 2500-6000 RPM range, no bigger though you might also want to cosider the XR282HR to help the bottom end power out a little bit.) then get a 3500 stall along with a performer RPM intake. This motor would make around 400-425 hp. That would easily get you mid to low 13's. For the AFR heads milled to 58cc, the cam with lifters and the intake manifold it would cost around $2400. If you sold your current heads, This would probably be a cheaper route also. Another thing to think about would be getting a set of 4.11 gears to help out with the 327's lack of bottom end. 383 is also a good idea. If you plan on going with a 383 in the future, I would get the 195cc heads because they would match a 383 much better than the 180cc heads. Also make sure you have a good exhaust system.

Good luck with whatever you do
Adam

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if i would happen to put in a 350 crank and make it a 350 or a 400 crank and make it a 383 would i need to have the block machined in anyway to fit either one of those cranks. Also would the rods i have now be compatible in either situation, a 350 or 383?

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I hadent considered the fact that porting would increase the size of the heads, with that in mind, a agree that if you got the world heads ported, that they would be too big for the 327. On the other hand, I think the 195cc runners of the AFR heads would be just about right. I am not sure about the clearancing on the block.

Adam

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
70chevelle327 said:
So if i would happen to put in a 350 crank and make it a 350 or a 400 crank and make it a 383 would i need to have the block machined in anyway to fit either one of those cranks. Also would the rods i have now be compatible in either situation, a 350 or 383?
yes
yes
350 no 400 maybe
depends on the length

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Killer I was considering putting a 25 shot on our 1970 John Deere 120 riding mower, but it's running loose so I better hold off. lol

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I'm throwing the idea back and forth, I like the idea of being able to keep very mild street manners, and hitting a button when I need to knock and extra second off my time slip. I don't like the idea of the bottle being in the car though. You never know when some idiot will rear end you or any other type of accident occurs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey thanks guys for everything. After thinking about it the chevelle is a big block car and it deserves one even if it does take more money and more time to give it one. I think im going to start the search for a 454 around my area. Since in order to make my 327 angry i'd have to replace about everything i already have on it i decided to just bite the bullet and go for a big block. We'll see what time brings.
-Thanks
Ryan

1 - 20 of 39 Posts