Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a high revving race application 400 small block mopar. i have a good block thats complete and runs but its going into a chrysler newport derby car. i dont have a huge budget. i want it to rev high but i want it to last more than 1 race. any help greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
57 Posts
400 mopar help

If its going to be a derby car you may want to focus on low to midrange power. The 400 is a good engine with its big bore short stroke and is able to make a snappy engine similar to the 340. Try to keep the compression around 10.5 to one and a cam with a .050 no more than 230 a 750cfm carb and a good dual plane intake like a rpm or stealth. Your heads should have a lot of attention given to them if they are going to be stock if you can splurge on aftermarket Edelbrocks heads will work nicely. I hope this helps, but there are a number of other combinations out there out will probably hear of.

·
More for Less Racer
20,947 Posts
What is "Derby" in your neck of the woods?? Around here it is demolition derby and most of them big old Chrysler cars are outlawed because you can't smash them up enough to stop them.

Everyone in a big fairground arena, back and forth smashing intil the last one standing wins and others are immobilized is derby in my neck of the woods.

400 is not a small block chrysler, it is a big block B-block, just like the 383 is.

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Not real important or anything, but just as a point of interest, does anyone remember which mail order parts supplier in the car rags that had 400 MOPAR blocks (short blocks?) for some ridiculously cheap price like $200? I'm thinking that this was sometime in the '80's.

I don't remember the details at all, just that they were stupid cheap. And this was before they were ever thought of as high performance material.

I have many hundreds of magazines here and mostly in FL so I know I have it but the thought of trying to find it, well, ain't gonna happen.

·
More for Less Racer
20,947 Posts
cobalt327 said:
Not real important or anything, but just as a point of interest, does anyone remember which mail order parts supplier in the car rags that had 400 MOPAR blocks (short blocks?) for some ridiculously cheap price like $200? I'm thinking that this was sometime in the '80's.

I don't remember the details at all, just that they were stupid cheap. And this was before they were ever thought of as high performance material.

I have many hundreds of magazines here and mostly in FL so I know I have it but the thought of trying to find it, well, ain't gonna happen.
Was it P.A.W.??

They had quite a few occasionally odd deals that would pop up for just until whatever supply they had found sold out. I can remember some killer deals on BBC Rectangle Port assembled heads at one time, and the various 427/454 crate GM sourced short blocks sometimes too, back in the 1981-1984-ish time frame, back when the catalog was black & white on real thin "phone book type" paper.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
You might just be right on that! I know I have an old-er PAW catalog around here- I think I actually payed something for it, IIRC. And it is real thick w/phone book-type paper, almost. But I don't know if it's old enough to have those blocks- but the more I think about it the more I believe it was them. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.