Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1979 malibu 355 engine cola crankshaft.. manley rods.. wiseco pistons.. 194 gm heads.. victor jr. intake.. holley 4160 600 cfm carb.. proform geardrive.. accel dist.. hughes turbo 350 trans with hughes 3500 stall converter.. 373 full posi strange axels richmond gears.. my cam is a elgin 230 230 480 lift 110 center lobe.... my problem is im confused if my converter is trash or the carb or timing is way out of adjustment. after car is warmed up to 190 degrees. put in gear and step on gas peddal it will stall everytime. no vacuum leaks what so ever. the car moves just fine only until when given gas... ive had the car out a few times this summer but not too much due to broken windshield. how do i tell if its the converter or carb... changed acc pumps twice and put a 31 size squirter from a 25 size. idles fine and will rev like crazy but in gear stumbles every time

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
fast79malibu said:
i have a 1979 malibu 355 engine cola crankshaft.. manley rods.. wiseco pistons.. 194 gm heads.. victor jr. intake.. holley 4160 600 cfm carb.. proform geardrive.. accel dist.. hughes turbo 350 trans with hughes 3500 stall converter.. 373 full posi strange axels richmond gears.. my cam is a elgin 230 230 480 lift 110 center lobe.... my problem is im confused if my converter is trash or the carb or timing is way out of adjustment. after car is warmed up to 190 degrees. put in gear and step on gas peddal it will stall everytime. no vacuum leaks what so ever. the car moves just fine only until when given gas... ive had the car out a few times this summer but not too much due to broken windshield. how do i tell if its the converter or carb... changed acc pumps twice and put a 31 size squirter from a 25 size. idles fine and will rev like crazy but in gear stumbles every time

Sounds way too lean to me.

Up the float level, up the jet sizes, make sure you get a good squirt, check the transition circuit slot, check the power valve setting. In short find somebody that can tune a Holley.

Others will argue that is not the best carb for the job... but any carb not correctly tuned will be a putz.

·
5,122 Posts
fast79malibu said:
i have changed jets from from 62 to 66 changed power valve from 5.0 to 6.5 and adjusted idle screws 2 and half turns .... i dont want the carb too rich.
Did it get better or worse?? If it still won't drive you can't be too rich yet. I wouldn't worry about it being too rich if you can't drive the thing anyway. :rolleyes:

What is your idle vacuum? How slow will it idle smoothly? What is your initial timing? What is your timing at 1500 rpm? Are you using a vacuum can? How is it hooked up?

Write down every change you make step by step, so you know where you are and where you have been. That way you can revert back to a previous tune if necessary.

A trick for the secondary is to put a paper clip on the rod and then drive the car. The paper clip will slip to the point that shows you how far the secondary is opening.

Or you can do like 90% of the guys on this site. Just start buying $ 500 carbs until you find one you can live with. :thumbup:

·
5,122 Posts
oooops

Fast79malibu has informed me that this is a new problem that just started occuring on a set-up that has been working well.

Crud in the carburetor? Gas doesn't store well anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.