Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
72 Chevy Cheyenne
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Q jet is on it's last leg so I'm looking around for a carb perfect for my set up, let me know what you guys think.

390 HP 350/350 .060 bore, 10.5-1 CR
Accel HEI/super coil
single plane intake
2.02/1.60 hump heads/1.6 roller tip rockers
.306 duration .550 lift cam
2700-3000 stall converter
Dana 60 w/3.55 gears
LWB truck with 30 inch tires

Thanks guys,

Dion

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
A Quadrajet by Sean Murphy Induction or Jet Performance, the Jet Q-jets come with stage 1, 2, and 3. All you do is call them and give them your engine specs and they set the carb up to those specs.

·
72 Chevy Cheyenne
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info guys, thanks. I've been thinking about the Demon over the Q Jet but the Speed Demon is for cams with .240 or under duration so I'd probably have to go with the Mighty which is $500, ouch!

I'll contact BG techs and see what they say.

I did rebuild my old Q Jet twice and it didn't make any difference, worn out I guess. I also did buy a stage 3 jet performance Q Jet and it ran so rich it actually ran worse, even after I put smaller jets in.

I might even try a Holley at this point

Thanks again,

Dion

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I run the 625 cfm Road Demon on my smallblock.I like it alot.I am not knocking Holleys or Q-jets or Edelbrock.Just wanted something new when I ordered it,About the only carb I have never run is a Predator.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What's your duration at .050? Around 260, I suppose. I'd go with a Mighty Demon 750... yeah, they're pricey, but you get a lot for your money.

Actually, I'd contact Demon and Holley direct and let them know what you have and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
my first choice would be a Q-jet...but it sounds like thats not what your after.
If you stay within 5500 RPMs 600 cfm is plenty.If you feel thats not enough, surely no more than 650.

·
Registered
199 Posts
batman09 said:
Yeah I was going to suggest an edelbrock performer 600cfm carb.Someone said a 750....thats to much carb for your application.bm
I said that based on the fact that his cam looks huge.... but then again, I haven't seen a .050" lift spec posted, and that's the only one that is ever consistent between manufacturers.... but based on the "306" number, I figured it was a 7000 rpm motor.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'd go with a 575 or 650 Speed Demon. I've got a Demon, and I love it. Personally, I'd go with the 650, because I tend to whomp on it everyday, but if you really don't hit even 5500 that often, the 575 might be a better choice. Speed Demons run about $400 from summit.

If you don't like tuning carbs, and want to save a few bucks, and don't mind giving up a little ultimate tuning/performance potential, I second the motion for the 600 Edelbrock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.