Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i HAVE A 79 EL CAMINO, REPLACED THE ENGINE A COUPLE YRS AGO, I'm not sure what yr the new engine is. I believe it's a 350. Heres the problem, beforeit got fixed i gave the old carb away. the mechanic was able to use the carb off the newer engine, even though it's computerized and my veh is not. I can't pass emission's for ****. I've found holly II at checker for around $180, do i match the carb up to my engine, or to my veh yr, make and model?? I beleive the holly part i'm looking at is 647160. would this the be the correct carb for my veh?? Emissions said running too rich, some of the computerized sensors are not connected on the carb thats in the engine now.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
What aspect of the emissions test are you failing?

You may just to to do some tuning to lean out the carb as much as possible. You may run a little hotter, but just so you pass emissions testing.

I looked up on rockauto's website which is usually all OEM listings and they show a few carbs. 2 and 4 barrel rochesters.
They are very expensive. around 300. They have a 50-60 core charge.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
that EST/ESC carb will run very rich if its not connected to an ECM

lots of fuel in the exhaust will occur

you need to find a non computer signal controlled carb

a good shape non computer Q jet from the mid to late 70s is plenty lean enough from factory to pass emissions easily

make sure you hvae a VERy breathable air filter

if not then it will be more rich of mixture because it will starve for air and therefore the intake charge will be more fuel rich of a mixture

and if it doesnt pass the first time then you can lean it more by putting in a hair larger primary rods or hair smaller primary jets

very easy to swap these in a Q jet, very common carb parts are all over for them i have crates of Q jets and parts in the attic and other places

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.