Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all hey i have a question that i can't seem to get an answer for...at least from the people that i have been asking.
where did the term 'stovebolt' come from and what exactly is it?
is it just a term for an inline engine?

·
Super Moderator
18,351 Posts
A` stovebolt is a bolt with a rounded head, with a square part under the head that sits in a square hole, so it won't turn. Chevy (and others) used to used them to hold fenders and body parts on cars....................The name just seemed to stick to them. I guess people relate them to sixes, because Chevy had the 6 while Ford had a v8.

BTW...............welcome...and good question

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

poncho62 i want to thank you for the info...i thought there would something more to it than that but hey it makes sense. i know exactly the type of bolt that you described...they seem to be holding my '68 C-10 long bed together. when i go looking for stovebolts i usually find cars/trucks from the 30's -early 60's. thanks again
btw i own a '56 ford f-100(under construction), '68 C-10 long bed(a work in progress), and a '67 el camino(up on blocks)

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
called 'carriage bolts' at the Home Depot

I think they also used slotted round head screws in the valve covers of the chev 6

Bryan

·
Super Moderator
18,351 Posts
I think you are right...Bryan.

You know the old story...."When you don't know for fact, baffle them with bullsh*t"

·
Lost in the 60's
15,245 Posts
Welcome to the Worlds Largest Hot Rod Discussion Community.........Hotrodders! We are glad to have you with us. :welcome:

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,024 Posts
Round head with slot. But they used them for more than the valve covers. You could just about tear half the car apart with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

I used to work in a hardware store. IIRC, the stove bolts (the actual bolts) were called that because they were used to assemble wood burning stoves. The cars picked up the nickname because Chevy used so many to hold them together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts