Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start building a rotisserie tommorow night. I would like to build one that has a capacity for a large car. I've seen pics , but I'm wondering how high to place the pivot point from the floor. Also tubing specs. would be helpfull. My main objective is to use it on a pickup truck cab, and have it later for an auto resto. Doe's anyone know of specific cab rotisseries or have any ideas? (Doing floor and support work. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. And plans would be awesome! Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Gearhead, WHOA Dude!!! Put down the welder!!! Wait for the plans before you jump in. Check this out first--- Go over to <a href="http://www.chevytalk.com" target="_blank">www.chevytalk.com</a> Go to the 55-57 modified section in the forums. Hit search mode and put in rotisserie. There's a guy called 67ss427 who posted plans there. They look real good. I built one myself a couple years back using my own plans (in my head) It was well worth the work. Also saved more than $500 over the commercial ones. Hope this helps.

:)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks, I checked it out...looks great. Its pretty much as I envisioned, but the dimensions take out all the guess work. I'll let you know how it worked out on the cab. I'll try to scan a dwg. of the attatchment that I come up with to mount it on the truck for those interested.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have never looked really close at a one, but for the cab I would build the rotisery so that it basically has two ends joined by a 4" Tubing slip joint so it can be adjusted to any length. Maybe that is how they are all built, but if not I think it would work. It would also make it easier to store.

Chris

·
8,453 Posts
Another approach you may consider is to use two engine stands and just make a couple of bolt on body mounts. May need to make telescoping risers on the engine stands but if you are planning to make a full rotisserie, you have the skills for that. Advantages are that you probably have half the unit already in your shop; you just need a second $75 Harbor Freight engine stand; you will end up with equipment that you can use for other porposes; and you won't take up half your shop with a 1-use monstrosity.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I built one on Friday night and it works like a charm! Thanks for the tip BadA31...thats the design I used. As soon as I get the photos developed, I'll include them on this thread. Now I can blast away and weld up a storm.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Hey Gear,
Check in my photo album. I have about 3 or 4 different ons but the first 4 picks show a real good one along with the material list as to what you need.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts