Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi-
Im in the process of pitting together a 350 sbc.
moter will have prept stock rods,flat tops,ported camel bimp 202/160...
Now to the cam & intake-
want to use ether a comp solid xe 268/274 @230/236
or
comp solid xe 274/280 @ 236/242
I thought a victor jr would be nice with reworked 650 square bore or 700
going in a 65 malibu with th350 trans
2000 or 2400 stall
gears-whatever it needs....
what can I expect for performance...?
will both of these cams have a choppy"popcorn machine" idle?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Haulin327 said:
Hi-
Im in the process of pitting together a 350 sbc.
moter will have prept stock rods,flat tops,ported camel bimp 202/160...
Now to the cam & intake-
want to use ether a comp solid xe 268/274 @230/236
or
comp solid xe 274/280 @ 236/242
I thought a victor jr would be nice with reworked 650 square bore or 700
going in a 65 malibu with th350 trans
2000 or 2400 stall
gears-whatever it needs....
what can I expect for performance...?
will both of these cams have a choppy"popcorn machine" idle?
Victor jr starts making power about 4500 rpms

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
David Vizard and other top tuners have done lots of testing that says otherwise...A well setup victor jr will come on just fine at 3000,lets not forget about good jetting and cam selection.
no flame intended...
what I think you mean is a good dual plane might make slightly more BELOW 4000 rpm and at 4500 rpm is when a victor jr really takes off! a Victor Jr will top a dual plane by about 20 hp plus easy above 5000 -acording to desktop dyno by comp cams....I think thats where the 4500 rpm comes in...Thats not to say that these intakes dont run good at resonably low rpm-They just do not make as MUCH as a dual plane or others at lower rpm
maybe a stuffer plate would "wise up" a pipey victor jr...
my malibu is light at 3200 lbs,I dont need TOO much extra low end torque...Do I ? My street tires fry allready
I would rather fry them at a higher speed/rpm.
if I could get off the line without creating a cloud(anybody know what I am trying to say) of tire smoke then when I shift at 6000 rpm all hell could break loose and the car would regain itself fairly quikly and really haul ***!

Heck a well setup tunnel ram will come on before 4500
:)
I could be blowing smoke !
I thought a single plane might help give me the choppy idle I am looking for and give hotter top end but I know overall a air gap performer rpm or eqev would be better (abit maybe) overall-
I remember the tarantula and its little bro the torker were known as pipey intakes
does anybody have thoughts on the cams I have listed.....?
am I full of @*&# ?
Thanks-

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Here's a response from xntrik that I've copied from another thread. If you will provide this information, I'm sure you will get a detailed reply.

"For choosing a cam you will need the following information.

Purpose of vehicle = driver, tow vehicle, steet cruiser, street-performance, street-strip, strip-street, strip only, full out drag car, circle track car, G-touring, full G-machine

Engine you are starting with, junkyard, fresh block, rebuilt block, and what you want to make (stroked, etc)
Power curve desired
Engine type and cubes
Engine stroke and bore
Connecting rod length and rod ratio
Type of cam desired, flat, roller, hydraulic, solid
Exact heads used, flow at .500, and valve diameters.
Exact static compression ratio
Quench information, chamber shape, fast burn? etc.
Piston configuration, flat, reverse, dish, etc.
minimum fuel octane desired
Intake manifold type, brand, style
Carburetor brand, type, and volume rating
Ignition distributor, advance curve type, or vacuum, both
any forced induction and specific type
nitrous oxide
exhaust system desired, loud, quiet, short race, headers only

vehicle type
actual vehicle running weight including people and full tank of fuel
proposed rear end gear ratio
slicks or special tires
transmission type desired
if stick shift, weight of flywheel, and type of clutch and friction material

financial ability to make it happen
Power costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A-Ok
um what does that really say about my ?
I am sure I could get just as sofisticated if I had the time ...BUT it was basicly a ? about cam.we could talk about cam timing and all kinds of stuff but I just wanted to talk about thrse 2 cams..-
I was just wondering about a tiny little bit of cam experience....
not a educacion on stuff I allready know about-
does anybody out ther have hands on ex with these partitular cams...?

Talk to me ....HA
-

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
If you don't have the answers to those questions, then in my humble opinion you don't have enough information and you have no business choosing a cam for yourself or asking anyone else to make an intelligent decision or give an informed opinion about the cams you have pulled out of mid air.

This post is not meant to be a flame. I don't flame people. What I do is try to answer each and every question to the best of my ability so I won't waste the poster's time and money. Choosing a cam is a scientific process and it takes information and hard cold facts to reach the correct grind.

I also advise every poster to touch base with the tech guys at his/her favorite cam grinder before cutting a check. There are many great minds on this forum and any number of them can get you close, but that's all...close....so that you can talk to the tech guy in an intelligent and informed manner.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thats funny- i have been porting heads and biilding mills from the age of 16...thats a lot of years ex
thanks anyway
by the way...anybody want to kindly leave some USEFULL respones on my cam ?
I am running a 10/1 350 in a 65 malibu and I will make it as ratty as as I feel like -
Don't think for a split second thatI am a a novise(did I spell that right) and am waiting for A WANTABE to set me straiht any way I have probably been do'ing this stuff a lot longer than YOU
I just think when a guy ask about a cam he dosent need to heer about a lot of sidetracke......simple.answer the ? ane dont get to EGO tistical.....what ev
thanks.....

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
As I said, there are any number of persons on this board who could give you an opinion, but they will need some information from you first. You haven't even given the static compression ratio of the motor.

If you don't want to figure it, I'll figure it for you, but I need some information.

How many cc's in the piston crown? OEM Chevy type with 4 valve reliefs or true flat-top with 2 valve reliefs?
How many cc's in the chamber?
How many cc's in the piston deck? Or just tell me how far the piston is down in the bore at TDC.
How many cc's in the gasket? Or just tell me the O.D. and compressed thickness.
What will be the rpm limit of the motor?
Automatic or stick?
If auto, where does the converter stall?
Is idle important?
Is bottom end important?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
techinspector1 said:
"I have probably been do'ing this stuff a lot longer than YOU"

Well Don, unless you've been doin' this stuff since 1955 when I was 13, then you haven't been doin' this stuff longer than me.
hey no big...flatheads have been known for not being "real great performers"BUT I know they really werr ! (maybe in your day but thats cool
Thanks any way BOSS
PSunless your name is Don Garlits being 48 is a nuff
P.S>I might have been drunk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.