Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy: I'm wiring my 69 Chevy truck (93 GM 350 TBI/700 R4) with a Painless harness which includes wires to connect to a neutral safety switch. I believe one carries in power and the other one passes it on to the starter solenoid when the transmission is in park and the key turned to start. Unfortunately, the steering column I got from Tuckers at a great price, does not have a provision for a NSS.

I want some protection from starting in gear so I am thinking about using a relay that would be activated by the brakes being applied. I would use the #30 terminal for the power in, the #87 for the power out (the two wires in the Painless harness), the #86 spliced into the brake light wiring, and the #85 to ground. When the brakes are applied, current would be allowed to flow to the starter. It's not as safe as the actual NSS, but better than nothing.

Does my idea hold water, or should I wire it differently, or try something else altogether?

Thanks
Fleetsidebob

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
using the bk to start will work. but it's NOT the real purpose of that sw.. neutral or park ONLY.. apply the brk in drive and it'll still start, not good ....
I'd have to agree with you that it's not as safe as using the actual park safety. But my thing is how many times have you ever tried to start your car with it in gear? I know i've never done it. Also if you have to put your foot on the brake anyway it's not going to go anywhere, plus there will be extra strain on the starter that you will definitely notice. I'm actually not even sure if a starter could turn the motor over while it's in gear.
I say go for the brake safety and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you both for your input. I agree that it is not the perfect solution, but short of changing the column, it seems like the most reasonable alternative. Turns out my wiring harness has a wire for a third brake light, I don't even have to splice into the brake light wire.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,700 Posts
i answered this in another forum, but...
good idea, go with it.

my column (86 astro van) only has a park safety switch.
twice in 3 years the motor has died after a long deceleration and a couple of brake pushes
both times while turning into oncoming traffic
i may do the same thing so i can shift to neutral and restart

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
i answered this in another forum, but...
good idea, go with it.

my column (86 astro van) only has a park safety switch.
twice in 3 years the motor has died after a long deceleration and a couple of brake pushes
both times while turning into oncoming traffic
i may do the same thing so i can shift to neutral and restart
Yikes! Thats why i'm not a fan of all this "safety" equipment. Like the steering wheel lock when the key is off. I dont understand the point of most of it.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
You could put a hidden momentary push button switch under the dash, it would do the same thing, but no relay would be needed and would allow you to restart while in motion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, so there is a Sedan Bob and a Fleetside Bob. Who would have figured? Anyway, thanks for the info. Are you thinking in terms of Lokar, or Genie, or one of those aftermarket providers?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.