Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started shooting the base coat on my car for the third time and I think Im cursed... This time around my Devilbiss Finishline started spattering when I let off the trigger putting big drops on my panel. I KNOW the gun is clean because I maintain all of my guns meticulously every time I use them.
The only guns I have left are a Sharpe Finex FX300 which I really don't like, a couple Harbor Freight guns and my SATAjet 2000RP (which I use for clear).

I think I might have to use the SATA for the basecoat and clear, but I am not sure what kind of pressure to use for base or whether this gun is okay for fine metallics (PPG Deltron 2000, black base with blue pearl). I usually run about 28-30psi at the digital gauge for clear. The bad part is that I already shot some panels with the devilbiss and Im afraid the color wont match. What do you all recommend? thanks guys, peter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so I finally got the rest of the car painted yesterday but I can already see that the pearl laid out a little differently than the rest of the panels (doors and fenders)... the pearl looks brighter and more obvious... I know it is probably too late but is there anyway to tone this down a bit?? maybe if I put more clear will it make it darker???? thanks for all of your replies. -peter

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
You can try some intercoat with a lighter pearl mix and respray the "different" areas with the Sata to possibly get it to match better.
Thats the problem trying to panel paint pearls & kandys. ANY deviation will SHOW and you have learned this the hard way. Even using the same gun is next to impossible and trying to use 2 totally different guns is,well...... :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bee4me: (sorry I took so long to reply...) just wondering what an intercoat is and how to apply? I have not yet looked at the panels in the sun but in the garage everything matches great... I just know that once it is in the sun it will be two slightly different shades :embarrass . thanks once again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.