Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I am again in need of advise. The roll pan for my S-10 is ABS plastic with a slick finish. I have never painted plastic and I know it is tricky to make it stay on. I have heard that a flexible primer, and adding flex agent in the clear coat is the way to go. I found some Flexible primer made by martin seniour for painting rubber and moldings. Do you think this would hold urethane base coat? Is there something better out there? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Turbo, flex agent goes in both the paint and the clear. This will prevent the paint from spiderwebbing on the urethane. Some paint manufacturers say their paint doesn't require that additive. Alot of paints actually claim that and only your paint guy would know for sure. I'm not that trusting so I add the flex agent.

HK

·
Registered
147 Posts
I spray Dupont and they say dont use flex agent in the base coat so I dont but I do in the clear coat and I sprayed 100s off the car never have any problems and its my understanding that flex agent cures after 60 days

·
Registered
35 Posts
Turbo, Make sure that you prep the plastic correctly also. If it has a slick feel to it, it probably has a mold release agent on it. The manufactures use this so the plastic releases out of the mold. So you must prep it right for the paint to stick. Here is the correct procedure.
1. Wash the part with warm soapy water very thoroughly.
2. Clean the plastic with a plastic cleaner. It must be a cleaner made for plastic. Wax and grease removers will not work correctly. The wrong cleaner and it might not stick.
3 Check to see if all the mold release has been removed. Rub the plastic with your finger and if it is squeaky clean then it is good. If it still feel slick repeat steps 1 and 2.
4. Next scuff the plastic with a fine scuff pad. 3m has a grey pad that works well. If you need to sand anything, wetsand with 320 grit sand paper.
5. Now clean the plastic with the plastic cleaner again to get ready for paint.
6. Once you have it all set up for paint, apply to coats of a plastic adhesive promoter with 5 min flash between coats and 20 minutes before sealer.
7. Spray on your sealer with a flex additive in it. let flash.
8. Check your paint rep for adding flex to the base. Dupont does not recommend it.
9. Spray your clear with the flex additive in it.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by collins motors co.:
<strong>Is it a flexable panel or hard plastic.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It is relatively hard, but if you push on it very hard it will flex. It should not flex after it is installed.

Chris

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the info.

Paintman, thanks especially for the step by step. I was unaware of the adhesion promoter or special cleaner. If this is not in the knowledge base, others might be interested Jon.

Chris

·
Mustang RUSToration & Peforman
7 Posts
I know this is a really old thread, but I need to clear something up. Flex additive is used in paint so the parts can be assembled. It "basically" looses its ability to flex as time goes on. Point being, if the part doesn't need to bend to assemble, the flex agent isn't going to do much and it offers no help in the long run. Sorry to lay the truth on you about flex :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts