Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 1989 Camaro 305. Only has 51,000 miles. Was left garaged after car began shuttering 4 years ago. What would be the correct thing to do to try and start this engine after so many years. Im gonna put new plugs and wires and all the basic tune up parts. I just dont want to damage engine.

·
Newskool
246 Posts
Check the fuel lines. Could quite possibly have some solid fuel in them. I would clean the lines right out.

I'm not too familiar with newer engines but I can almost guarantee that pumping some oil through the engine before startup wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Along with those recomendations, If it has old gas in the tank I would flush the tank. A couple of hrs of work will save a lot of headaches later.
A new oil filter and fresh oil wouldn't hurt either.
If the engine had dirty oil in it when parked the bearings may be acid etched and not hold up that well under serious driving. That seems to be one of the major issues with cars that have sat for a long time along with the fuel going bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.