Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a 1976 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup, it has a 318 and a 4 speed tranny. Before I went into the school there was a kid i don't get along with so well attempting to powerbrake his truck, his attempts failed to spin even the one tire he usually does (this being on wet pavement), I moved my truck out of the spot i was in, started in second gear and layed on it. My truck instanly spun the tires (4.11 dana 60 with locker) so i pushed on the brakes, i sat there for about 10 seconds burning my tires. I went back to the spot and parked, I looked at all of the guages before I shut it down to go inside. Everything was looking normal.
When I went back outside I noticed between then and now was the gas guage, it was at half and now at empty, simple answer someone stole my gas, i filled it up to about a quarter of a tank.
I made another atempt to start it, it turns the motor but there is no start, it is cold outside but it usually isn't affected by the weather. My attempts failed, I cleaned the terminals to the battery, still nothing. Charged the battery, still nothing. It has fuel pressure, oil pressure, i'm not sure about spark it sputters though.
If anyone could be able to give me some posibilities of how to get this thing started would you please tell me some sugestions. It is about a 15 mile drive to school (30 round trip) and i need a few ideas before I make another trip out there.
P.S. I tried starter fluid also.

Thanks,
Eric Crusch
:(

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
Look under the cap and see if your rotor has been taken.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't mean no spark, i pulled the plug boot off and held it while a friend turned the key, its an MSD with a 50000volt coil and it barely did any damage just a very very little jolt, in comparison licking a 9 volt compared to licking a 120 volt plug in.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
Its is either no spark or no fuel, some people are just crappy when you show them up and they will do almost anything. BTW I had somebody pull my rotor once because I pissed them off at school.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I dont know how serious the hatred is, but sugar in the tank will cause those problems. And destroy everything.... but you said you put 1/4 tank in, and the gauge worked... so im not sure. quick way to check, is hit the tank with your fist to see what kind of sound it makes... hollow or splashing would be a good sound, loud thumps... not good..

Another way, check the carb for gas...
Does the starter crank (full force?)

·
Registered
177 Posts
If the engine cranks over, why would you suspect the starter is bad? Take off the breather and smell for gas. As stated before the problem should be either fuel or spark. Or potato in the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out it wasn't the starter, couldn't help putting a new one in though so i left it in. The other was at about 100000miles. pulled off all the pieces of my ignition; coil, voltage regulator, battery, sparkplugs and had all of them checked, the coil worked but not nearly enough to start the motor put a 50000 volt on there and then it fired right up. Thanks for the help.:thumbup:

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
my 74 Dodge PU did that

Changed the coil and distributor and ignition switch. It would start and run find..but wouild stall or just shut it off and it would not start again...changed the resistor on the fire wall and the problem went awary.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts