Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a project jeep a 1982 cj7. It has i believe a chevy 350 eng in it. the only casting codes are above the oil filter and are n41 371 886. It has a starter in ac delco part # 1876555 323 255 . It has a manual 4 speed but the starter only hits the first 1/4 inch of ring gear. can you tell me what engine this is? I believe it is the wrong starter but need info on where to go from here. please help

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Regardless of what the engine is, if it's a sbc then it used one of two starters.
These two starters were matched to the flywheel size so one won't work with the other.
If the starter has a straight bolt pattern then the flywheel will have 153 teeth and is 12 and 3/4 inches in diameter.
If the starter has a staggard bolt pattern then the flywheel will have 168 teeth and is 14 inches in diameter.
As you can see by the different diameters only one starter will work with the given flywheel diameter.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I just got a project jeep a 1982 cj7. It has i believe a chevy 350 eng in it. the only casting codes are above the oil filter and are n41 371 886. It has a starter in ac delco part # 1876555 323 255 . It has a manual 4 speed but the starter only hits the first 1/4 inch of ring gear. can you tell me what engine this is? I believe it is the wrong starter but need info on where to go from here. please help
You are looking in the wrong place for the block casting numbers. Herehttp://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Chevy_engine_casting_numbers is a page w/info on engine ID including casting number and date code locations and suffix codes, etc.

Here is a page on starters. There may be GM production Chevy straight across starter noses for the 168 tooth flexplate/flywheel somewhere- but I've never run across one. But then I've only been doing this for 45 years or so and I still learn things on a regular basis. Aftermarket starters are another matter.:mwink:

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
From the late 60's on every sbc I ever seen used the two as I discribed. Yes, in the older days some did bolt to the bell housing but what's the liklihood of him running a set up that old? I was not referring to aftermarket starters which I have seen use the straight bolt pattern which will work on the larger diameter flywheel. As for the OEM set up I've only seen those two and I've never seen a straight pattern factory starter with a 168 tooth flywheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.