Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
Cus..."rules is rules"

Just like the rule about posting in the wrong forum....this belongs in the lounge.

You have a good point though...............I have often wondered about this myself.

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I have a Harley dealer not to far from my house and they go by on the roads all the time when im there. When I say they are loud I mean LOUD! Louder then most cars with open headers esp. when they really get on them which of course they do to their content.

I can understand the law though. The main reason open headers are not allowed on street I think more then noise is fumes. That could get into the cab and cause problems for those drving on a bike that is not such a problem.

It's another thing I have always wondered. Take for example the "ricer" cars now im sorry but that justt does not sound good.

My problem with it is this bike and our cars can gain from open headers these cars gain little or lose power because of waht they put on and it in turn makes it sound worse. Having them buzz down the street is just as loud as a normal V8 with open headers. I think if there was a poll taken of people who own houses in an area you would find that less people would mind the roar of a V8 rather then the whine of that kinda car. Mind you there are a lot less per given area of muscle cars then "ricers".

There my rant is done

Chris

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
tell me and we'll both know. i cant stand them either. do a search and you can see me get into it with a harley owner. haha

·
Registered
249 Posts
T'aint fair

Drag pipes on Harleys should be as illegal as loud mufflers on cars.
Years ago when I first got the new 400 in my bird I had to take it around the block, straight headers. Catching second gear the rear tires broke loose. Got back to my house and pulled it around back. Coming between the neighbors houses was a cop in uniform. Seems the house I broke loose in front of was his. Oops!
Anyway, he was cool, a hot rodder, and was curious what I had been building in the garage all this time he'd seen the lights on late. All he said was get some mufflers on it before taking it out again.
Even after mufflers I got several warnings for loud pipes. It really wasn't the exhaust that was that loud. Mainly hearing the cam and engine thumping under the hood.

·
Registered
111 Posts
loud bikes

If anyone in their right mind can believe this,our local city cop,Patrolman Pohlman.said the reason they don`t bother the bikers is" They come from the factory like that ,which makes them legal" With most houses and cars closed up tighter than bark on a birch,most people are not offended like they used to be.I enjoy the sound of a good exhaust system,but not just a bad muffler.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
He said harley dealership, not factory. I'm sure they install pipes for all the yuppy guys who want a loud bike. My buddy bought a harley a while back, brand new. You're right, the stock pipes are pretty reasonable.

That aside, I'm sick of hearing loud bikes. I can't walk down the street and hear myself think because the loudest thing on the road is some jerk's loud bike. I'll bet my car isn't half as loud even when I'm at WOT.

K

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.