Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Down in flames.
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found what appears to be a straight all original '29 Model A frame with complete suspension,axles,steering,and a few other parts.The frame is rusted, but appears to be solid.It's at a shop that deals with motorcycles, and the occasional hot rod.I'd like to make an educated offer,but I haven't a clue what it maybe worth.Can anyone clue me in?My plan is to use the frame for a base to scratch build a woodie station wagon/depot hack.I'd like to use most of the suspension, but modified and lowered to handle to days speeds and be safe.I also plan to box the frame completely.What should I offer?I know I can get frames and suspension kits around $2000 and up.I like to keep the suspension,but do split wish bone/radius rod,with a dropped axle up front, and raised rear spring cross member, to get it low.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
A frame

wow what a tough question, keep or go new ?? it would be easier to do mod's on new stuff for sure. i guess i'd say look more closely at the mod's u want to do on orig frame vs buy'n new, cost effective and your labor too..
go with $1500 and see what happens.

·
Down in flames.
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only mods I want are split wish bones front and rear,8.5 S10 rear axle,raised rear spring cross member to lower the rear,spring behind axle up front, and drop bracket for front spring.For me,it would be easier to start with a rusty old frame than to try and scratch build.I would have to spend a good bit of time either, finding a flat floor to build the chassis on, or building a table/jig to build the chassis on.I do have more time than money tho.

I hope Monday is a good weather day.I plan to drop in, and hopefully inspect the chassis.I may see if they will work a deal for the parts I remove and return to them.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
more things to check

Is the front crosmember cracked near the square hole for the spring bolt, what kind of shape are all the spring bushings, thin frame from rust under the A motor mounts. Is the frame twisted, check with a level in a few spots . I would vote to build a new one, wall thickness depending on engine power , 120 or 188 wall 2 X 3 or 2 X 4 tube, Around here there are old farm hay wagons made from old cars-trucks cheap, and I was offered one to just haul it away and take the pickup load of trash stacked on top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.