Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had an engine that ran so poorly before, so naturally I am unfamiliar with some of these plugs. I have taken 2 pictures (below) and numbered the plugs by cylinder. Can you please help me distinguish between issues here as I have never seen so many different plugs come from 1 engine.

Mind you, they were all replaced less than 400 miles ago.

Hope the pics are good enough for everyone to get a good look:

(brother installed the platinum plugs, I prefer to use copper which is what's going in after I fix the issues.)

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
looks like your fuel metering is all over the place, or your burning oil in a few of your cylinders, but that usually leaves more of a crust. Tan is what you're shooting for, black is rich, white is lean.

5 and 4 look like oil burning, but its hard to say without having a better resolution.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, yeah I know. I don't run platinum plugs, I run coppers typically since I stand behind what is known to work.

Most of them had oil on them, the tailpipe smokes blue when I get on the gas, and I know the valve stem seals need to be replaced.

There was previously a 1" open spacer on there, and I removed that and connected my breather to a vacuum on the front of the carb.

Have to wait until next week to purchase more parts such as new copper plugs, and by the way..

What gas should I be running in this? 87, 89, or 93?

1997 5.2L 318 magnum dodge engine

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Those platinums are junk thats for sure, made my 94 SHO run like crap until I changed em.

I agree with the Seafoam treatment (maybe a double shot!) and some regular factory recommended plugs and see what happens...a new fuel filter is a good idea too...you got some lean cylinders there.

Some serious oil burning on a couple of holes too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.