Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here. I have a 1963 Chevy Impala with a 350 sb. I'm pretty sure I need a complete rebuild on it, but the guys down at the shop have a 327 available to drop in if i want to go that route. The fact is, I don't know a whole lot about 327's and am not sure what to do. Should I rebuild the 350 or just buy another 350 crate? Or go with the 327? Im looking for a good balance of fuel economy and muscle. HELP!!!!

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
You say you want a balance but which way are you leaning more towards performance or fuel economy there is no clear cut what will give you more. You will have to sacrifice to get either.
Also whats the budget?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response! This car is my everyday car so its a daily driver. I figure I'm getting 10 miles to the gallon right now and it hurts! Im guessing Im putting out 220 hp right now, way below what I want. So anything better is great.

My budjet is about 3,000 max. Thanks

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Is that the stock high compression 350 that came with the car?

Just for a daily driver you could go any route that you listed and just throw on a 2bbl carb and pick up some mileage. On the weekends if you want to have fun just put on the (Im assuming) 4 bbl and hit the street.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 4 bbl on there now, but i really dont want to lose any HP. I dont know about the high compression, I dont know much about it, Im new to the whole muscle car thing so Im learning. What do you know about the 327?

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Basically its the same motor as 350 just shorter stroke but has a taller piston to compensate. There are little details like main journal size and rod journal size but that depends on the age of the 327.
There are a couple 327 experts on this site. I'm sure they could fill you in with a ton of info.
Is the 350 in the car now original?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, not original. And unfortunately, the previous owner had no clue to its
age, model, miles or any history. Im leaning towards a fresh 350 rebuilt engine, but just want to make an informed decision. I feel safer with a new 350, but I don't know much really. :(

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Well with your budget a I think you could easily pick up a shortblock and transfer over the top end from the 350 you have now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
emgine swap

for starters, is your engine "done" for sure? smoking etc? or does it just need a really good tune up? if you are getting 10 mpg then it seems like that carb is overfuelling. has anybody done a compression test, leakdown test etc to tell if it is really done or if it is something else? also, check the peripheral stuff like the carb. those rochester carbs have a habit of wearing out the carb housing where the throttle shaft goes in, so the throttle plates are never in the same place twice. hard to set an idle mixture like that. anyway, it would mean a new carb. is the distributor wore out? mechanical advance working properly? plug wires, cap & rotor, pcv valve, fuel filter, air filter, hoses and belts? these are all the things that the shop is gonna want to change with a new motor
on the 327, they are more of a high rpm engine, in my opinion, so it depends on what you plan on doing with the car. is this 327 a rebuilt (professionally with warranty) or a used motor (with documented history, and not sitting around for a couple of years). for power you can't beat cubic inches, but the 350 isn't known for it's awesome economy. have you thought about an ls conversion? you get fuel injection so good economy right off the start. and the wife can just get in and go like a new style car, no choke or pumping the pedal. probably out of the budget though. how about the 383 option. a buddy of mine put one in his truck. where he got 13 mpg with his 350 he got a bit better with the 383, but quite a noticeable increase in available power. check with a gm dealer for crate engine prices and what actually come with it (oil pan, valve covers etc). you can also check out the ramjet 350 at gm. it is fuel injected and ready to drop in, hook up power, fuel and go. quite a few hotrods are running that engine for that reason. good power and economy. looks good under the hood too.
anyway, all I'm saying is to check out all your options before you decide, after that it's too late. make sure you get a firm quote on the job before you commit, ask questions. what is included and what is "as required" if you go with a rebuild. what will the warranty be? some shops will quote high to include stuff like coolant, belts, hoses, clamps etc, and then when you pick up the car the bill is actually less than what you were quoted. some shops don't. there could be a big difference if you need a big ticket item like a carb and a distributor, and the extra labor to set them up. it never hurts to ask.
dsraven

·
Registered
284 Posts
Super70 said:
Nope, not original. And unfortunately, the previous owner had no clue to its
age, model, miles or any history. Im leaning towards a fresh 350 rebuilt engine, but just want to make an informed decision. I feel safer with a new 350, but I don't know much really. :(

The 350 didn't come out until 1967. Your 63 may have come with a small journal 327, 283, 409 (???) or a 6 cylinder. Hard to say. In 1968 the 327 was changed to a large journal on the mains. The 327 will wind up to higher rev's in stock form. Can you read the numbers on the engine pad just in front of the right cylinder head. If you can and you post the numbers, someone will be able to tell you what the engine variant is and what year engine it is. Trying to determine which to build is a choice you have to make. The 350 in 4 bolt main form should be stronger but a lot of people like the high winding 327. In either case the cost is going to be about the same for either engine. The crate motor is an option also although I think that option will cost over the $3000.00 you indicate you have available. I hope some of this helps.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts