Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! Where did I go wrong?

Rebuilt a 1996 ford 4R70W transmission this weekend. It was working but seemed to be slipping when it was cold (in the morning till the oil heated up). It had 210K on it.

I replaced the clutchs, bands, seals and pistons.

Tested it last night.

First, second and third (I think) are good. I hit 50 and no gear. The engine rev's free.

I am assuming I messed up on the o/d band or the valve body.

I did have a problem putting in the band. I put the piston in before I put the pump on and sure enough on the first two tries I missed the band. I know I got it before I put the pump on ... but then again I guess it could have slipped off.

First, if I drop the valve body (trying not to pull the transmission again) is there a way of holding (compressing) the o/d band againt the drumm so the piston hits the pocket?

Second, am I on the right path or it here anything else I could have meessed up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks ... Mike :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had mentioned in an earlier post, I have just rebuilt a 4R70W and upon testing had no O/D (it worked before I took it apart).

I got answers from 3 sources saying in must be the O/D band.

Tonight I dropped the valve body and could see the band through and inspection hole.

The band was loose. When I pressed on the O/D servo, I could see the band tighten.

I also checked the valve body and all the pistons were correct.

What should I check next????

Any suggestions????

Thanks .... Mike :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts