Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help

Well everything was going great and still is I guess, except now that I've pulled the 10-bolt 8.5" axle housing out of the 72 Nova and sitting on a stand, I removed the axles, carrier, axle bearings, ring gear, etc, I have a problem trying to remove the pinion nut. The nut is 1-1/4". I have all the tools, that's no problem. The problem is I have no way of "holding" the pinion from turning when I try to loosen the nut. The whole thing turns. You know what I mean. How do I keep the pinion from turning when I put torque on that nut to loosen it? What's the trick?

thanks.

Lee

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
I take it you dont have an impact gun...............Take the rear cover off, and jam a piece of wood in there to hold the crown gear.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
I usually remove the pinion nut right after I drop the drive shaft....with the tires still on the floor and scotched....I use a air wrench also. Then I remove the rear end or tear it down whatever.

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Henry Highrise said:
I usually remove the pinion nut right after I drop the drive shaft....with the tires still on the floor and scotched....I use a air wrench also. Then I remove the rear end or tear it down whatever.
yea I know what you mean. My first time though. Learn from your mistakes I guess is the theme here. I'll keep trying things. I may have to run out and get an impact wrench gun. that's about the only commonly used garage tool that I don't have. (stop laughing at me).

Lee

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
On different occasions I have used:
A pipe wrench on the pinion yoke.

A drilled piece of ¼ inch thick steel flat stock, mounted to one of the axle tubes as well as bolted to the yoke.

The proper GM yoke "wrench" that basically does the same thing as the flat stock homebrew piece above but for a whole lot more money.

·
russlaferrera
203 Posts
pinion nut

As M&M custom suggests a pipe wrench and a pipe, works. The bigger the wrench and pipe the easier the nut will come off....russ

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
leejoy said:
yea I know what you mean. My first time though. Learn from your mistakes I guess is the theme here. I'll keep trying things. I may have to run out and get an impact wrench gun. that's about the only commonly used garage tool that I don't have. (stop laughing at me).

Lee
Nobody is laughing............It did bring a smile on my face though :) because I remember learning this lesson the hard way myself a long, long time ago. Anyway glad your learning and having fun. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
And it doesn't matter how big of a tool you try and use, it'll either work or something will break.

I tried removing (only ONE time) a set of U-bolts from one of my trucks to try and re-use them when things were to eventually go back together to save a buck or two.

I had 7 feet of pipe on the end of the 3/4 inch ratchet, and all of my 230 pounds on the end of that pipe when the socket EXPLODED, which I eventually found only two pieces of.

I never had a power tool, until a few years after I had started working on vehicles over 18 years ago, and I still to this day cannot get a power tool to do it's job where most hand tools barely fit, there's still no choice in some cases.

·
Registered
22 Posts
10 bolt pinion nut

hi,you can make a big holder out of a piece of flat bar.just have to have a big hole in the centre for a socket to fit through and 2 holes diagonally across from each other to bolt it to the yoke.use a big bar with a socket and it should work.i did this a few years ago on one of my trucks and it worked good.it helps to have a big friend to sit on the rearend while you loosen it when it's out of the vehicle

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M&M CUSTOM said:
And it doesn't matter how big of a tool you try and use, it'll either work or something will break.

I tried removing (only ONE time) a set of U-bolts from one of my trucks to try and re-use them when things were to eventually go back together to save a buck or two.

I had 7 feet of pipe on the end of the 3/4 inch ratchet, and all of my 230 pounds on the end of that pipe when the socket EXPLODED, which I eventually found only two pieces of.

I never had a power tool, until a few years after I had started working on vehicles over 18 years ago, and I still to this day cannot get a power tool to do it's job where most hand tools barely fit, there's still no choice in some cases.
well said. We are alot alike. Still to this day I have no impact wrench an no air tools or air compressor and have been able to do all of my auto repair and upgrades without them.

Lee.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Uh you guys sound tough but come work with me and my Mack`s (CH series & E7`s and the new Granites)

You would then learn to appreciate what a 1" drive impact if good for... :thumbup:

Also if you have the right tools meaning both the air tool and the attachments you can do just about anything... It takes time to accumulate alot of this stuff but its worth it for sure... I started at around 10 and 36 years later my arms,wrist and fingers thank me every day for all my Snapon & Ingersol tools and attachments (even the junk I started with)... :D

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bumpstick said:
Uh you guys sound tough but come work with me and my Mack`s (CH series & E7`s and the new Granites)

You would then learn to appreciate what a 1" drive impact if good for... :thumbup:

Also if you have the right tools meaning both the air tool and the attachments you can do just about anything... It takes time to accumulate alot of this stuff but its worth it for sure... I started at around 10 and 36 years later my arms,wrist and fingers thank me every day for all my Snapon & Ingersol tools and attachments (even the junk I started with)... :D
dear bumpstick:

certainly we would all like to have the space and money for professional hand and power tools. In my case, space is more of the problem. I'm not poor. I have my share of money to spend on my 72 Nova and tools needed. Space is the problem. My "shop" is a 2-car attached garage where my wife keeps her car on one half and I keep my Nova on the other half. See what I'm up against? I work on my car when both vehicles are in the garage. Not much room. Each tool takes up more room, and all of it's accessories and cases, etc take up more room also. An air compressor would definitely take up even more space. I've thought about getting a small 2HP 10-15 gallon unit and installing at the ceiling on some type of wall mounted platform to keep floor space from being used up. Someday maybe sooner than I think I will do that. I can keep the air hose coiled up on one of those spring wound spools and keep everything out of the way when not being used.

don't take for granted your truck shop. You are lucky to have it.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
I've had air tools long enough now to vastly appreciate them.

I've also used the hand tools and still do to this day, but yes the IR stuff has had a runaround here too, I've worn out two different impact guns, and several 3/8 air ratchets, along with one air compressor so far.

I've also had the pleasure of wearing out a metal cutting band saw too.

Bent, broke, and modified too many hand tools of all kinds and brands to count.

As long as the tool does the job it doesn't matter if it's the "right" tool for the job, does it?

Bumpstick isn't kidding, without a 1 inch impact an awful lot of truck services wouldn't get done, I see this every time I pass by one of the two truck service and repair shops in town, I don't have diddly compared to the one place, and I've had to take stuff down there to have a helping hand.

Changing an engine in a car is nothing when you look into his shop and he's removing an engine from a log skidder.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
leejoy... Man sorry to hear about the space problem... :( Guess I`m very fortunate that both the wife`s new car and my ext cab truck sit outside while the old 69 PU rests nice and comfortable in the garage along with most of the tools and parts... In fact we are about to move after the 1st of the year and a 30X50 shop will be the new garage and a nice 4 car/carport for the other auto`s and boats (got 2 of them that also reside outside)...

Dont get me wrong guys I went for years without air tools but they are a lifesaver... :thumbup: But have to say my new Craftsman cordless 19.2 volt drill/driver & 90 degree angle drill with 2 batteries and 1 hour charger are just about my favorite tools and come in a nice plastic carry case... (cost was $110 on sale) Dont ask what I have in air tools because its more than I pay in taxes and insurance for a year on our house... :pain:

M&M CUSTOM... You got that right...!

As long as the tool does the job it doesn't matter if it's the "right" tool for the job, does it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts