Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on the quarters, and trying to get them perfectly aligned with the doors, is progressing.
A problem I am running into is the repop doors do not have enough adjustment (moving the door towards the rocker) on the bottom hinges (both sides)
This could be the simple fact that the mustangs did not fit that good or had a chrome trim along the rocker which hid the fit issues.

Anyway to get the hinges to go in a little more, I popped the doors off and loosened the lower door hinge. I tapped it with a hammer, up against the adjustment limit, inside the door. I only needed 1/8" or so.

It worked fine, except I have a little hinge bind. More binding on the passenger side.

I am sure that the hinge is twisted a little, and the pin is not true up and down, or in alignement with the upper hinge.

Does anyone have any tips on getting these hinge pins running true. My torpedo level won't fit.

The bodywork is going good. I'm sure I will have the doors on and off a few times before paint.
Thanks for any advice ;)

·
Paintshop Dog
404 Posts
Pull out what you knocked in! And, (sorry to say) it's a Mustang, so slot the holes in the hinges to adjust the door in further without moving the hinges. The hinges need to be where they belong. Maybe use a slide hammer, it's only Mustang metal, you can probably move the hinges back out. It is important to get the doors lined up good to the rocker, or you'll have a heck of a time fitting the fenders.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I wasn't clear. The slots are fine, the bracket which held the backing plate (that slides back and forth in the door) , the keeper... was welded wrong. No full adjustment. I tapped the hinge against it to bend the tab enough, to get full adjustment.

Door fits fine now.

What I need to know is tips on getting the hinge pins to run true up and down. I can't get a torpedo level on them (not enough space)

If the pins don't run true with each other, the door does not swing as easy and the pins will wear out prematurely

·
Paintshop Dog
404 Posts
OK. I'm sorry, now I get it. I supose the best idea I've got for that is using a straight edge and eyeballing it? or maybe a plum-line? Good Luck!

3,214 Posts
I honestly don't know how you would go about making them exact. I usually adjust the hinges with the door closed, by going to the bolts from the fender side. If they are aligned for proper door adjustment, that is what I am looking for. I will usually loosen both hinges somewhat, at the same time. They will basically self-adjust that way. I usually will place something inside the door at the bottom to hold it up, tight against the latch, as they will normally drop somewhat, when the weight is put on the hinges.

Aaron

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought of something that might work. I picked up one of those pocket levels with the laser line. (for body lines)

I lined up the two hinge pins, looked like the bottom one was off. Maybe a two person job to tweak it. one to hold one to adjust

1 - 6 of 6 Posts