Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need help. I'm trying to build a 454 engine for my 79 Camaro. The crank in the 454 is bad so i have to replace it but wanted to add a better cam and things like that while i had it apart. I've never built a engine before so all this is new to me. Any suggestions would be really helpful. i'm trying to keep it on the low end on money but will do something if its going to make a big impact. I know right now i want to replace crank, cam, lifter rods, valve's and rocker arms and maybe pistons. Engine isn't going to be bored either Casting number is 361959 and VIN T0629TST. I'm have 781 heads for it but valves need replaced. Again any help cause i'm lost.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats where im getting lost how do I get the compression ratio? I probably sound like an idiot but I dont want to mess something up. Im still learning

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Thats where im getting lost how do I get the compression ratio? I probably sound like an idiot but I dont want to mess something up. Im still learning
IF the block has decent bores. Order up some mid-dome hyper-eutectic pistons. Keith Black or Sealed Power/Fed Mogul. These will get you just under 10-1 compression. If you are stuck with a hyd cam. Try for something with 225-230 duration @ .050, 112 or so advertised centerline with as much lift as available. Big blocks like lift.. Staying below 230 duation lets you keep a stock or mild t-convertor and decent idle quality. Check Howards cam stuff.

Heads, properly done will cost come $$$$$. 781-049 castings are good . But, stock they have very short v-springs and the exhaust rotators have to be tossed and spacers installed. You will need valve springs with 110-120 seat pressure. Correct aftermkt +.100 retainers and proper locks to get correct pressures, again Howards has the best/right priced stuff

Stainless valves.. No stocker stuff, BBC are famous for dropping stock valves at high speed.

Guides shortened and cut for seals.

Ask around for a machine shop that knows how to do this stuff, many have no clue..:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts