Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, im looking at buying a 78t/a with a HO/HP400 coupled to an auto. the car is in bad condition (on a scale of 1-10 its probabily a 3 or 3.5) and i was wondering if anyone knew a place that makes 400 ponti motors, or how much it would be to make 400-425hp and 440-475 ft/lb (or more for either) and how i would go about doing that. im new to the whole restoration/building thing...i have no one to teach me, cept for myself and the internet, and so far...im doing good (hay atleast i know most of the things that are said and what to do with em) so any help would be appriciated :thumbup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I, about 2 years ago, got into Pontiacs pretty hard core. It's not that I don't like Chevy's or Fords, I just think that going against the norm is cool. Anyway, I've done a lot of research regarding Pontiacs. For upwards of 400 horses for a 400, it's not too hard, just make sure that you're picking the right components. First off, the heads on your 78 won't be terrible, but not awesome compared to others. I'm guessing that at 17, you're working on a typical highschool kid's budget, so looking into a set of old cast heads is probably what you'll want to look at. Consider cast 12, 16, 48 or 62 heads first off. Crane makes some decent cams that are an updated version of the old blueprint cams. I don't know really what you're considering as far as streetability, but the RAIV cam would be awesome I think, powerwise. Anyway, without more information as to what you're wanting, do some research at the previously mentioned sites, as well as these. The last one, Kaufman Racing, the owner, Jeff Kaufman, answers questions in High Performance Pontiac, and will be happy to answer any tech questions over the phone as I've found. Good luck.

Wallace Racing
How to Build Max Performance Pontiac V8's
High Performance Pontiac
Kauffman Racing

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, thanks a bunch...regarding my financial situiation...i have 1000 to blow on the car itself, so that means its probabily gonna need about 4k of work to get on the road. but i do have a linc worth (as it is now) about 7-7500. so once i have the pta and have the car able to be driven, then id sell my car so i could get motor work done.i have been researching the ra4, i do like that quite a bit...its a fun cam. as for most of the stuff you say, i realy dont know too much. its a baptism under fire, as it were. but i tell you, money wont be too much of a problem for me, because i dont realy need a car for the next 3 years(my college is 1/2 mi from my house) , so i can sell my car to start it off, and work for the next 3 yrs to get the rest of the parts. but,yeah..those links are helpful, thanks a bunch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts