Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am researching industrial sewing machines and in my search I came across your forum.

I sew felted handbags, so all in all the thicknesses I sew are 1/4" up to 1/2" thick. My home sewing machine hasn't been handling what I need it to do, so I've been considering buying an industrial because I need a strong machine that can do straight stitching. Yesterday saw a post on craigslist, contacted the seller, and have been communicating with him. I will be seeing the machines this week and want to be as informed as possible ahead of time. Hoping you can help me.

He has 4 machines - a Juki, Brother, Tacsew, and Singer. The Juki "is the same as the DLN-415 in the way it functions" The head, motor, and table is separate on all of them for storage purposes. They seem to all be interchangeable. He says 3 of the 4 motors are in great condition. All motors were timed and serviced 2 years ago when they were put in storage. There is no power in the storage unit so I can't try them out, but he says he will service them if needed. One is missing the reverse lever and one is missing "the tension assembly that is on the arm." Each machine is $200.

I don't know if I should run away or if this is a great deal. #1 I want to know what the model #s are of the machines. What else should I ask or look for. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
All industrial machines are set up with separate tables, motors, and sewing heads. That has nothing to do with storage, it's so you don't need to buy a new table and motor along with a new head. It sounds as if he has 4 heads and one table with a motor. Each head could be dropped into the table, have the belt between the motor and the head attached, and be able to sew. The belts may need to be different to accomodate each different sewing head. Don't buy anything unless you see the machine working properly. It also sounds like these machines are pretty old. There's nothing wrong with that if they're functioning properly. The Tacsew would be a newer machine, but they are lower quality than the other three. The other three are good brands. If the Singer is a 111W, that may be the find of the bunch. If the tension assembly is missing on one of the heads, it is not a big deal. A tension assembly only costs about $30, and just bolts on. As far as what to look for, I'd look at what condition they are in cosmetically to see if they've been taken care of, and turn the hand wheel to see if the needle goes up and down easily. One other thing to think about.......industrial machines don't do well sewing lighter fabrics, so be sure the machine will sew what you want to sew properly.

Reactions: HandbagMom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen the machines now. There were 6 heads, 6 tables, and 6 motors. The motors are all clutch. Is that what I need or is servo better?

The Brother, Merritt, and Singer all had rusty parts. The ones in better condition were a TacSew 405, Juki DDL-227, and Juki DDL-888.

I understand from other posts on Hotrodders that the Juki DDL-227 doesn't have a walking foot. It sounds like that is important for interiors, because it is challenging to get even stitches without the walking foot. Did I understand that right?

Does anyone know any further info specific to these 3 models?
Thank you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
TwoLakesDan,

Handbagmom must be very grateful she found a place where someone as in you, who provided the very help she wanted.

Good luck HandbagMon with your new machine and think of us when you are successful. We appreciated donations.

Dugg

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
We appreciated donations.

Dugg
What kind of "donations" are you soliciting? This is news to me- the last time any money was collected on this site was for legal defense funding. The new owners sure as hell don't need anyone who is helped here to give them any money- they get their payment from advertisers.

To HandbagMom: If you would like to show your appreciation, my advice is to simply use the "Thanks" icon at the bottom of the post. Spend your money on thread.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Cobalt: This is someone trying to get enough posts in to spam the site. I will ban this person forever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think some additional comment is due on my part.

I saw HandbagMom as a person joining this site, not as anyone interested in rodding but someone looking for a donation to buy a machine to make her handbags. America is showing stronger signs these days of people who expect something from others.

I noticed Mom didn't bother starting in the Introduce Yourself Forum. Or making any mention of any even feigned interest in rodding.

I suggest she be thankful that someone here was able to help her with the exact type of help (not monetary) she sought. That then precluded her from coming back and actually asking for a monetary donation to her (self-serving?) interests.

To "seal the record"- that is to preempt further action on her part, I said we appreciate donations. Not because I sought one (on behalf of the group) from her, but only as a way of discouraging her from doing the same.

Maybe all she wanted was some information which she was fortunate to receive from Dan. That wasn't my first interpretation of her purpose in joining HotRodders.

I hope this adds clarity to my posts and trust you'll do the same for me.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I saw HandbagMom as a person joining this site, not as anyone interested in rodding but someone looking for a donation to buy a machine to make her handbags. America is showing stronger signs these days of people who expect something from others.

I noticed Mom didn't bother starting in the Introduce Yourself Forum. Or making any mention of any even feigned interest in rodding.

I suggest she be thankful that someone here was able to help her with the exact type of help (not monetary) she sought. That then precluded her from coming back and actually asking for a monetary donation to her (self-serving?) interests.

To "seal the record"- that is to preempt further action on her part, I said we appreciate donations. Not because I sought one (on behalf of the group) from her, but only as a way of discouraging her from doing the same.

Maybe all she wanted was some information which she was fortunate to receive from Dan. That wasn't my first interpretation of her purpose in joining HotRodders.

Thanks guys.
WTF... are you on crack? The lady is looking for info on which sewing machine to buy. I think Dan is right, the person with questionable intentions is you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok! Firstly, I do apologize for not introducing myself. I assumed no one in this group was overly interested in details of starting a handbag business, but I still should have introduced. I've actually been to quite few hot rod shows, when my husband still worked for Ford and we lived in Detroit; but I don't actually know anything about them.

Yes, I was looking for information on industrial machines. In my extensive search of the internet for information on industrial machines post after post written by members of hotrodders.com comes up in search strings. A lot of these posts where very detailed in terms of machine function and usability; and the group seems to know a lot about how one model number or another functions. I learned a lot from reading through all these old posts, but still needed specific information to prepare me for looking at the machines in question.

Everyone, thank you for all the information that's been written in the past about industrial machines. DanTwoLakes, thank you for the information you wrote specific to my situation. I appreciate your detailed response and advice.

If anyone has any further info on the TacSew 405, Juki DDL-227, or Juki DDL-888 that would be great. I still haven't decided what to do.

DuggMills, please don't assume I'm a freeloader. You have no idea how much time I invest in helping others.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Someone comes here looking for help- we give it. Usually w/no questions asked. In fact this is the first time I've read of a member here discouraging anyone from posting, regardless of whether they are into cars or what.

My advice is to let those who want to give help, give it and keep your opinions to yourself regarding who is worthy of that help and who isn't.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts

Thanks guys.
So, you have been a member here for a whole 9 months, and you have decided, for the entire site's membership, that handbagmom was looking for money and should be run off with a stick? Where in anything she posted did she ask for anything other than advice? BTW, a lot of people don't start here by introducing themselves, and she explained what she was doing and what she wanted to use the sewing machines for. She never claimed to have any interest in hot rodding, but so what? A lot of people come on here for a couple days to get a question answered, and then don't post again. My advice to you is to keep out of this unless you have any of the info she is seeking.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Someone comes here looking for help- we give it. Usually w/no questions asked. In fact this is the first time I've read of a member here discouraging anyone from posting, regardless of whether they are into cars or what.

My advice is to let those who want to give help, give it and keep your opinions to yourself regarding who is worthy of that help and who isn't.
Exactly. Cobalt hit it right on the head.

·
Registered
30 Posts
HandbagMom,

Please accept my apologies for failing to understand your interests here. I was obviously wrong in my assumption and response.

Sincerely,

Doug

·
Registered
30 Posts
TwoLakesDan and Cobalt327

I also apologize to you for my knee jerk reaction and comments regarding this matter.

Sincerely,
Dugg

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
HandBagMom: I tried looking up the Tacsew 405 and Juki DDL-227 and DDL-888. I am almost positive these machines are industrial apparel machines. They would probably work for handbags, but not for sewing car seats.

Reactions: HandbagMom

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
TwoLakesDan and Cobalt327

I also apologize to you for my knee jerk reaction and comments regarding this matter.

Sincerely,
Dugg
You already apologized to the one person you needed to apologize to, HandBagMom. I get the big money for pointing out inappropriate behavior, and you are now off the hook.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DanTwoLakes: Thanks for looking up the machines. Could I ask your source, for future reference? I tried googling them and didn't come up with anything.

I learned that they were used to sew helmet covers and parachutes for pilots. My materials are VERY thick, up to 1/2", so I think none of these machines may be the right one for me. Would a machine that is good for sewing car seats be able to sew through 1/2" fabric? The main problem I run into is when I get the foot high enough for my fabric, often the tension disks release so my stitches end up uneven and sometimes skip. I've managed to work around it, through multiple adjustments on my machine for every seam, but it would really decrease my time per handbag if I could just sit down to the machine and sew without so much time spent fiddling.

If you think a machine that is good for car seats can do this, I will go back through the older posts to figure out some good model numbers and keep my eyes open when one of those is advertised in my area.

DuggMills: Thanks for the apology.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ed Raichert Inc has a very knowledgable staff, and I use them for all of my machines. Their # is 800-422-3153. I usually deal with Jason (he's the 3rd generation).

They're always a good resource, and their techs are phenomenal. They're usually good at hunting down very obscure parts for obsolete and obscure machines. Just thought I'd share.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts