Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I managed to get my 350 running great after some problems. Changed the carb fuel filter and some vacuum and fuel hose, and timed it properly with a light(was 8 degrees retarded). I took it to the emissions testing and failed, but not by an enormous amount. Based on the fact that the timing was ****ed up I'm assuming that whoever rebuilt the engine didn't get the carb settings right either. Can somebody give me instructions for how to set the carb air/fuel rates from scratch(keeping in mind that I'd like to run it as lean as possible so as to pass the emissions test - I can always rich it up later)

Thanks a lot

Stu

Sorry, forgot to mention - the carb is a rochester quadrajet.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
What kind of car are you working on?I had problems getting mine to pass the VET testing here(Before Jefferson County decided it was a 20 year farce bilking us for million$$$). I did everyting to pass.Endeed up buying two $60.00 universal cats,passed with flying colors.Then pulled them off when they did away with the emissions testing.I am about to register the car at my brothers in adifferent county incase they bring it back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an '82 chevy 1/2ton 4x4. It doesn't have any cats on it, but there are different rules for pre '91 vehicles, and since it didn't come with cats, I only get tested for CO2 and Hydrocarbons. I'm going to swap out the 20w50 oil for some 20 weight, and add some methyl hydrate to the fuel, but I'd like to run it as lean as possible just to make sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts