Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
gsoleski said:
great thanks. Which one would be better for a distributor? manifold or ported? there's also another small port by the choke.
What you need to watch out for is the port used for the EGR valve. It's not suited for use as a source of vacuum to the distributor vacuum advance.

The port locations and whether they're ported or manifiold vacuum changed through the years. What I do is use a can of carb spray to shoot into the vacuum ports to see whether the vacuum pick up point inside the throttle bore is above (ported) or below (manifold) the throttle blades. If you find any that have pick up points above AND below the plates, do not use it, that's an EGR port in all likehood.

Obviously, plug any ports not being used. And the location of the ports on the outside of the carb cannot be relied on for whether the pick up point in the throttle bore is above or below the throttle blades (or both). In other words, the port above the port to the choke pull off (passenger side of the carb) is likely manifold vacuum, yet it is located (externally) above the throttle blades.

The large vacuum port in the rear of the carb (if you have one there) is usually used for the power brake booster.

More on this here. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
On my carb and others I've looked at the small port above the fuel fitting (by the choke) is capped. I think it may be for EGR, which I don't have.

The small port on the right upper is where I get manifold vacuum. The two lower ports are PCV valve (larger fitting) and vapor recovery canister.

Bruce

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
75gmck25 said:
On my carb and others I've looked at the small port above the fuel fitting (by the choke) is capped. I think it may be for EGR, which I don't have.

The small port on the right upper is where I get manifold vacuum. The two lower ports are PCV valve (larger fitting) and vapor recovery canister.

Bruce
Traditionally, when we say "right" and "left", it as though you were sitting in the driver seat. So when you say "the small port on the right upper", to me I'd think it was the small port above the fuel fitting. But I don't think that is what you meant. Or is it?

It's often clearer to just say "passenger" or "driver" side so there's no question to what is meant by L or R. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.