Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im getting ready to paint my girlfriends 2005 honda accord rear plastic bumper I have used a high build primer and sanded with 400. I purchased some dupont chromabase satin silver and some chroma clear. I have never used this. the guy at the supply store told me I don't need to sand the base before shooting the clear? Is this true? also the directions say to flash basecoat 15-30 minutes before clearing. What is flash? Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to waste any material, cant afford to buy more.

3,214 Posts
Also don't watch a clock for the ideal flash time. That "idea" time will vary depending on the color, shop/metal temp, and humidity, and basemaker/reducer that is used. If you clear too soon, you may end up with solvent pop. Been there, done that. I don't remember what the recoat window is, but I usually wait atleast an hour or 2 before clearing, just to make sure. That's time that I can spend doing something else, not trying to get rid of solvent pop.

Aaron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well guys its all finished turned out pretty good only problem I had was with the bc the satin silver has some glitter in it it kind of shot out in bunches in some areas probably because of the gun I used, just some larger patches with glitter other than that Iam happy with the way it turned out. Should I sand the clearcoat? If so how long should I wait? Thanks for all the help fellas. Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
That would be called mottling. Silver is one of the tougher colors for it if you are not experienced spraying and have a well set up gun. And I believe that is metallic. Glitter is found in the crafts section :D If you are happy with the way it looks then no you don't have to do anything to the clearcoat. If you have orange peel, dirt nibs, or other perfections you would like to get out, then wetsanding and buffing will take care of a lot of little imperfections, if you put on enough coats of clear to do so. Do a search on wetsanding and buffing, the subject has been covered very often on here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kenseth17 said:
That would be called mottling. Silver is one of the tougher colors for it if you are not experienced spraying and have a well set up gun. And I believe that is metallic. Glitter is found in the crafts section :D .
Thanks for clearing that up:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts