Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello im trying to find out what my gear ratio is on my 84 firebird trans am it was the l69 305 ho with the 700r4 in it i tried the wheel trick and spun it 3 times and my drive shaft turned 3.3/4 but i also got all the numbers off my rear end that i could find i never sen any on the Axel tubing its self these are all of the dif housing DNA GM N22522676 k16 j22 and on AO if anyone could help me with this i appreciate it

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
if you still have the sticker with the rpo codes in the glovebox in the console it will have the G code for ratio on it

like GU6 for example

if you cant find the stamping code in the axle tube then youre just gonna have to remove the diff cover and look

thirdgen.org has the charts to show what axle ratios came with which drivetrain combos

84 was different than 82 and 83.. in which were 2.73 and 3.23

84 with L69 were commonly 3.73.. in which i have owned many of

whats in it now is anyoen guess though..

someone could have changed it over the years..

rotating the tire 10 revs while having someone count driveshaft revs would be the most accurate..

not a big deal what ratio is in the car as these cars with a v-8 were pretyt quick regardless of the ratio..

i have owned and driven all different ratios of these cars and i have never noticed any ral difference in quickness of them from 2.73 to 3.73 ratio.

the 84 with the L69 were the most common and billions were sold that year.

heres three, of many ive owned..

84 l69 700r4 3.73

the first tow i parted stripped and scrapped. the last one i drove a year and sold and was in indiana somewhere i last knew.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea my RPO sheet is gone and i have yet to finde the stamp on my axel tube i know the 84 trans am came out with eather 342 or 373 from the specs on thirdgen.com but my drive shaft isnt rotating enought to even get close to 342 gears

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
3.73 was the most common in 84

ive owned many 84s and they always have been 3.73 with L69 engine

dirt common

the stamping code letters are on the pass side axle tube you just have to know exactly where and scrape with a blade or something

i always find them
car truck van etc

never fail to locate them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.