Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted this awhile ago to see what this toploader came out of. now i took the top cover of just to see if it was a wide ratio or a close ration trans. what i saw it looks like where 3rd gear is its actually 4 th gear. sounds strange but take a look at the pic.so i did some research and found that in 77-78 they made a toploader that was an overdrive that used 3 rd gear as the fourth gear that was an overdrive with a ratio of .81. you ford guys, have you ever seen this trans. or am i just wrong. i might be this is the first toploader i took apart. it a rug-FP trans that i cant find info on.
thanks
Randy

Attachments

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
randyhemi said:
i posted this awhile ago to see what this toploader came out of. now i took the top cover of just to see if it was a wide ratio or a close ration trans. what i saw it looks like where 3rd gear is its actually 4 th gear. sounds strange but take a look at the pic.so i did some research and found that in 77-78 they made a toploader that was an overdrive that used 3 rd gear as the fourth gear that was an overdrive with a ratio of .81. you ford guys, have you ever seen this trans. or am i just wrong. i might be this is the first toploader i took apart. it a rug-FP trans that i cant find info on.
thanks
Randy
Yea i remember your other post, but i forgot about fords toploader with overdrive thats why your # through me off, i had a 1983 ford f150 with a top loader with overdrive not a very good trans, IMO But i still can't find your numbers anywhere still looking though. Cole

·
More for Less Racer
20,932 Posts
I can't give you any info beyond what you have. These transmissions did exist, around the time frame you are thinking. A friend in school in the 80's had one in a Granada/302. He put a 351 W in it. Third gear position in the box was an overdrive gear. Third gear on the shifter was high gear(1-1) and 4th was OD.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
The 3+ OD toploader was more common in the Granada/ Monarch.. in them as early as 1975.. Ford used them till about '79 when they switched to the SROD ( Single Rail Overdrive ).. but the larger trucks still got the 3+OD

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. i bought this along time ago. so its a crappy trans? i tought after 79 the trans were aluminum? guess i will never use this trans. you never know what you get at these swapmeets.
thanks alot!!!
and cole thanks for still looking for the numbers their has to be a way to identify it by the id tag.i just cant find it!! :confused:
thanks
Randy

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have one of these trans in my 81 f150.it's daily driven,had a hard life pulling cattle with the previous owner and that trans held up great.i get between 18 to 20 mph when i use the od.rpm's are at 1550,a little low for the 302 though

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
randyhemi said:
thanks guys. i bought this along time ago. so its a crappy trans? i tought after 79 the trans were aluminum? guess i will never use this trans. you never know what you get at these swapmeets.
thanks alot!!!
and cole thanks for still looking for the numbers their has to be a way to identify it by the id tag.i just cant find it!! :confused:
thanks
Randy

There somewhat sought after for some people.. there pretty good transmissions

·
Registered
3 Posts
1962 Fairlane

Greetings; I am following this Ford 4 spd overdrive thread with interest since I am looking at a 1962 Fairlane with a V8/3 spd.

Too; I remember those Granadas/Manarchs from new with the above MT, they were either 250 Sixes or 302 V8's---------no 200's or 351's. :)

·
No substitute for cubic inches
211 Posts
There have been quite a few articles written over the years as to the strength and uses of these transmissions. It was based off the late 60's top loader with different gear sets, the ones in the 77, 78 trucks have given excellent service with quite a bit of abuse involved. If I where builing a moderate street car and wanted the wide patern and low rear gear I wouldn't hesitate to use one as the OD would make it much more enjoyable to drive any distance.

Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ford Junkie said:
There have been quite a few articles written over the years as to the strength and uses of these transmissions. It was based off the late 60's top loader with different gear sets, the ones in the 77, 78 trucks have given excellent service with quite a bit of abuse involved. If I where builing a moderate street car and wanted the wide patern and low rear gear I wouldn't hesitate to use one as the OD would make it much more enjoyable to drive any distance.

Tony
Thanks for the heads-up. I am looking at a 1962 Fairlane and, I want to optimize the MPG yet still have something of an Old School machine. Note this car presently has a 260/3spd stick and I want to drop a mild 302 in it. :)

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
I've had one of these transmissions stuck away in a cabinette in my shop for many years. It's easy to identify one becasue of the bulge on the side of the case. The larger overdrive gear required a bulge in the case that the regular top loader 4 speed didn't have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.