Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever "mini tub" a car. I want to put larger tires and wheels on my 67 nova. Was wanting to know whats involved besides wider rims and tires. Is it nessecary to narrow the rear end? I have a 9" in the works. Is there a kit for this? Is it a bad Idea to mini tub? Any info is appreciated!

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
If I was going to tub a car, I would have the wheels and tires that I planned to use. That way, you can see what will fit under your fenders, will be able to measure how wide the rear has to be and how far apart the frame rails need to be apart. If you dont know all that, you are just guessing.

The are kits available for the frame rails etc for your car. Alston makes one of the better ones.

http://www.cachassisworks.com/

I would research this before you start cutting..........

·
Registered
8 Posts
mini tubs

I just finished a mini tub project on my 65 Rambler. It took me a little over a month to complete due to work, kids, etc. I still haven't got the rear end under it yet which will have to be narrowed.I just purchased a 9 inch Ford rear end to go under it.It is a lot of work but to me its worth it. There is also a website called bad boys racing.com that is doing a mini tub on a 1964 Nova that might be of some interest to you.Whatever you decide,good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mini-tubs

I saw a tool in an autobody toolstore catalog (#4018-Champ fender mender), and first thought how cheesy. But how many times have you needed just a little more room to keep from chewing up the casings? On a front fender it might throw off a lot of gaps, but on a quarter it could buy a lot of cheap clearance. I don't know how to do the whole link thing, so use the part number on their website.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 66 Nova, great car. Check out stevesnovasite.com. Tons of info on minitubbing a deuce. Difficult job, very involved. There are many kits on the market. I currently run a 265 wide tire on the back with minimal trimming to the fender inner lip. Minitubbing is really difficult on these cars.

·
Registered
320 Posts
First off you guys mini tubbing a car has nothing to do with narrowing the rear end you widen the rear wheel wheels keeping the existing shape just cut down the middle of your factory wheel well and ad width to it that gives you the width you need and you dont even have to cut the rear rails maybe usually you have to move the shocks in but thats about it

·
rad47
14 Posts
mini tubs

You're right Pro 48, I'm in the process of mini tubbing a 72 nova, never did it before, but i tubbed my 47 coupe. I just measured in 2 1/2" from the inner wells, marked it to the rear floor, split the wheel wells and cut the tub out, notched the frame and boxed it in, added a strip to fill the tub and welded everythig up. Had to move the shocks in board and use offset spring hangers. Does anyone know how much a job like this would cost? I got about 20 hrs and only half way thru. I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
PRO 48 fleetline said:
First off you guys mini tubbing a car has nothing to do with narrowing the rear end you widen the rear wheel wheels keeping the existing shape just cut down the middle of your factory wheel well and ad width to it that gives you the width you need and you dont even have to cut the rear rails maybe usually you have to move the shocks in but thats about it
Well that's true in one way, But if you want to run a deeper wheel,Then yes you have to narrow the rear end.. And on a lot of cars, You have to move the frame rails inward...There are some cars that you can get away with not moving the rails.. It all depends on what size tire's you want to run.. :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
poncho62 said:
If I was going to tub a car, I would have the wheels and tires that I planned to use. That way, you can see what will fit under your fenders, will be able to measure how wide the rear has to be and how far apart the frame rails need to be apart. If you dont know all that, you are just guessing.

The are kits available for the frame rails etc for your car. Alston makes one of the better ones.

http://www.cachassisworks.com/

I would research this before you start cutting..........
Best advise ever - one more time- get your rims and tires first. Dementions from tire and wheel manufactures are never accurate!

·
Just stuck
435 Posts
Also, measure BOTH sides of the car. Had a couple where the chassis was square but the body wasn't. One side actually had 1/2" more room than the other side and there were no signs of them ever being in a crash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts