Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 400 sbc to put in my 85 Monte Carlo ss which had a 305 i recived the motor as a create motor with no flywheel or starter so i put the fly wheel and starter from my 305 on it or should i tried to put the starter on here is my problem the bolt patter en was different so i changed the end of the starter now it is like it is to short the Bendix will not engage the flywheel so i guess what i am asking is the a why to fix the problem with out have to take the motor or transmission out of the car any help in the matter would be great. :smash:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm making an assumption here that your 400 is still externally balanced. If so, I don't think you want to use the 305 flywheel/flexplate on a 400 small block as the 305 is internally balanced. Not sure about your starter problem other than to say that starter nose style and flywheel diameter must coincide.

Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank u

well this is something i did not know so i guess i need to remove the motor and find the right flywheel do u think this will solve my problem i was not thinking about internal or external balancing i have installed sbc chevy motors but never ran in to a problem like this i thought that sbc stuff interchanged with out much problems so i guess i cant just buy some after market starter to fix the problem.

·
Super Moderator
18,352 Posts
The 400 is different from the rest of the small blocks...you need a 400 flexplate and harmonic balancer to keep that motor balanced. The starter will work if you changed the end housing on it, although you may want a heavier duty one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts