Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
HI, from my experiance with this type of problem I found it to be unspent fuel ending up inthe exhaust pipes and igniting. You will have to jet down or lean it out a bit to stop it. Take a plug reading, that will tell the whole story. Also recheck your timing. 99% of the time it`s a rich condition.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Mike, the header leak you speak of would sound more like ticking, it would not cause muffler rap on decelleration. without hearing it myself, you might try what I advised in the last posting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
MIKE, THE 4 CORNER IDLE SCREWS YOU HAVE BEEN ADJUSTING ARE FOR IDLE ONLY. THE METERING PLATE AND JETS ARE WHAT DETERMINES THE FUEL AMOUNT CONSUMED UNDER ACCELLERATION AND OFF IDLE OPPERATION. THEREFOR A JET CHANGE MAY BE THE ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM. JUMP DOWN 2 JET SIZES AT A TIME TIL THE PROBLEM IS FIXED, BE CAREFUL HERE YOU DON`T WANT A LEAN CONDITION EITHER. FIND OUT WHAT SPARK PLUGS ARE AVAILABLE START WITH THE MID RANGE PLUG, THEN COLD PLUG THEN HOT PLUG. EACH SET SHOULD SHOW YOU A DIFFERANCE IN PERFORMANCE. OF COURSE USE THE ONES WITH THE MOST GAIN.

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: edcroozer ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts