Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painted a car today with single stage black,didn't use hardener just reducer. Can I still wet sand and buff out orange peel, or just use a rubbing compound. It was dulipcolor from Napa .I've never used it before got a good deal decided to give it a try. thanks in advance for any help. :confused:

·
Paintshop Dog
404 Posts
In my opinion, you will need to wait about 3 months before color-sanding and buffing. And, because you didn't use any hardener :confused: (should have) it is going to be a bit gummy to sand. Try using a bit of dish soap in your sanding water. This seems to help brake down the cut and prevent bogging up the paper a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I listened to the guy at the paint store,stupid me :boxing: .So theres no way to use rubbing or polishing compound now, or still have to wait 3 months.

·
Paintshop Dog
404 Posts
I'd hang loose for a while, but you need to realize that just rubbing it wont help you will need to cut it with fine sand paper to change the texture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I'll just wait. It was a lesson well learn , I'll do more research next paint. Thanks for the info, you saved me from more mistakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can I still wet sand and buff out orange peel
I did an older Honda for my mom last December and used el cheapo single stage (like 80 bucks for paint and reducer :drunk: ) and the reducer flashed so quick I was mixing it like water to lay it down. After a couple of months I wet sanded with 1000 and polished and it looks pretty decent (way better than before). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
colormecrazy said:
In my opinion, you will need to wait about 3 months before color-sanding and buffing. And, because you didn't use any hardener :confused: (should have) it is going to be a bit gummy to sand. Try using a bit of dish soap in your sanding water. This seems to help brake down the cut and prevent bogging up the paper a bit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I raise you three months to six months on that particular paint.
So it does not roll on you or gum when buffing.
Even then it would be best to forget about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts