Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new intake and carb on my sbc 267. I removed the distributor but i didnt mark it at all, i just removed the whole thing :nono: . i made a mistake, i know.

The intake is on, the carb is on and connected to fuel lines. distributor is in the hole all the way down. Intake is a wiend stealth, the carb is a Holley street avenger 670, and i have a HEI distributor.

I'm hoping someone can give me some instruction on how to set the timing and pretty much a step by step guide to get it to run.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Remove #1 spark plug (driver's side front). With a socket on the harmonic damper retaining bolt, turn the motor clockwise while a buddy holds his thumb over the spark plug hole. As the piston comes up on the compression stroke to fire, your buddy will feel air pressure on his thumb. Watching the timing tab on the timing cover, keep turning the crank until the tab mates up with the TDC groove which is cut into the outer diameter of the harmonic damper ring. Remove the distributor and clock the rotor so that it points to 5:30 O'Clock as you are standing in front of the motor and re-stab the distributor, leaving room for the vacuum cannister to move clockwise and counter-clockwise without hitting the intake manifold so that you can fine-tune the timing when you're done. Run the #1 spark plug wire from the 5:30 position on the cap. Continuing clockwise around the distributor cap, plug in the remaining wires in firing order, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/chevy_sb.htm

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
Niko1080 said:
I installed a new intake and carb on my sbc 267. I removed the distributor but i didnt mark it at all, i just removed the whole thing :nono: . i made a mistake, i know.

The intake is on, the carb is on and connected to fuel lines. distributor is in the hole all the way down. Intake is a wiend stealth, the carb is a Holley street avenger 670, and i have a HEI distributor.

I'm hoping someone can give me some instruction on how to set the timing and pretty much a step by step guide to get it to run.
I'm not familiar with the 267 but I'm pretty sure the firing order will be the same as all other chevy V8's.
Firing Order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Remove the spark plugs so you can turn the motor over easier using a socket on the crank pulley bolt. You need someone to hold their finger over the #1 spark plug hole while you turn the motor over. As you slowly turn the motor over, you will be able to feel pressure in the cylinder trying to push your finger off the hole. Watch for the timing mark on the crank pulley when you start feeling this pressure and stop the timing mark when it reaches the indicator on the timing chain cover. Now you need to see where the distributor is pointing. I like to point mine at about 5:00 when looking down on it from the front. It really does not matter where the distributor is pointing as long as you know where you will place the #1 plug wire. The distributor rotates clockwise so you will need to wire the plugs in order. The plugs on the drivers side are numbered 1-3-5-7 and the ones on the passenger side are 2-4-6-8 starting at the front on each side. With the #1 plug wire placed in the correct location on the distributor, place the rest of the wires in a clockwise rotation using the firing order. Hope this helps.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
Static Timing

Bring #1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke, and verify your rotor is pointing at the #1 post in the cap.

With the spark plug still out, hook it back up to the plug wire. Now lay the spark plug ground strap against metal, or hook a test lead to it, and ground it where you can see it.

Now turn your balancer to 8 degrees BTDC. Loosen your distributor, and turn the key on engine off. Then turn the distributor, and lock it down, when the spark plug fires. This will set your base timing to 8 degrees BTDC. This is called Static Timing. This is a good place to start.

Now hook everything back up, and test drive it for performance.

Note: You may have to readjust your curb idle speed, and or, idle mixture screws.

If it seems sluggish, you can increase your timing by 4 degrees(with the vacuum advance disconnected, and plugged) to 12 degrees. Do this in increments of 4 degrees, until it pings under load. Then just back it off 2 or 3 degrees.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
techinspector1 said:
Remove #1 spark plug (driver's side front). With a socket on the harmonic damper retaining bolt, turn the motor clockwise while a buddy holds his thumb over the spark plug hole. As the piston comes up on the compression stroke to fire, your buddy will feel air pressure on his thumb. Watching the timing tab on the timing cover, keep turning the crank until the tab mates up with the TDC groove which is cut into the outer diameter of the harmonic damper ring. Remove the distributor and clock the rotor so that it points to 5:30 O'Clock as you are standing in front of the motor and re-stab the distributor, leaving room for the vacuum cannister to move clockwise and counter-clockwise without hitting the intake manifold so that you can fine-tune the timing when you're done. Run the #1 spark plug wire from the 5:30 position on the cap. Continuing clockwise around the distributor cap, plug in the remaining wires in firing order, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/chevy_sb.htm
Ive done this up to where you say 5:30 and when i put the distributor down it wont go all the way down unless its pointing at about 7:30 or 8:00, should i try the before steps again ?

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
You can take a long flat blade screw driver, and turn the oil pump drive, so the distributor drops down all the way.

If you have turned the engine over to drop the distributor, you will need to find #1 TDC compression again, then use the screw driver.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
When cook said this....
"If you have turned the engine over to drop the distributor, you will need to find #1 TDC compression again, then use the screw driver.",
he meant that if you have turned the crank any at all after finding the TDC position, you need to do it again to get on TDC.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
Niko1080 said:
Ill do the screw driver thing, i didnt crank the engine to turn it over, i used a wrench on the balancer bolt.
If you had the distributor dropped in, and then turned the engine over until it dropped the rest of the into the oil pump drive, you may be OK.

Turn it to #1 compression and make sure your rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went around again untill #1 tdc, just to be sure, then i lined up the oil pump drive shaft and it dropped in at 5:30, now im in the process of hooking up the plug wires 18436572. To change the timing after that do i just rotate the head of the distributor while its running?

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
Niko1080 said:
I went around again untill #1 tdc, just to be sure, then i lined up the oil pump drive shaft and it dropped in at 5:30, now im in the process of hooking up the plug wires 18436572. To change the timing after that do i just rotate the head of the distributor while its running?

Yes :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, ive got the engine to idle now but it sounds like a pretty rough idle, is there some things i should be double checking or is the rough idle fixed with timing?

And thanks so much for your help guys, i really appreciate it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.