Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled a 307 from my '68 Elky getting ready to drop in my smokin 383 - woo hoo :D when I discovered the previous owner has bastardized (welded) the engine mounts :mad: . I don't trust these mounts and would like to replace them. What should I do?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car was originally a 6cyl. You would think that chevy would have used the same cross member for 6cy & 8cy cars. Do you think if I grind these off, I can bolt on conventional mounts?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah you should be able to grind it off and put on new boltable mounts, but my suggestion would be to use an aftermarket motor mount like a high energy absorbing polyurithane mount. Stops a lot of the everyday rattles you hear and are 5 times as strong as a regualr motor mount. Especially with the engine swap your about to do.

James
- Drive it like it's stolen -

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help!
Looks like I need new frame mounts. Where can I find them? Also, will 327 frame mounts work with a 350? (they did'nt make a 350 in 1968). Anyone have a picture of how the frame mounts are supposed to look for a 68 with a 350?

·
Administrator
18,437 Posts
Those mounts are off of a later model...after 73. They are an improvement over the earlier mounts. I would go with them. If you want an extra safey factor, attach a short piece of chain from the motor to the frame on the drivers side.

Yes, 327s and 350s have the same mount locations.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a picture of some later model mounts correctly installed. So here's the million dollar question:
Will these later model mounts install on my 1968 V6 frame to accept a 350?

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Why wouldn't the 350 set down right where the mounts are at? The 307 and 350 are the same. You can always get a set of the old GM "quick fix" safety cables that were used in that era.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts