Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HEI in my 350. I exchanged the manifold, carb, etc. and have a problem I have never encountered. While the car started right up, I could not find the timing marks. The dampner and pointer no longer align at any of the timing marks. By power timing, the car runs good.
Prior to the swap, I could locate the timing marks.
I did something wrong, does anyone have a hint?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Is this a different engine or have you had the block all along?

If it's the old block, Did you pull the Vacuum advance while trying to time it? that will shoot the mark way past the indicator at idle..

If the chain cover was replaced older type covers and later balancers won't match and is a problem too..

The Balancer/Pulley may be going bad and slipped the rubber ring (this will usually "Knock like a rod under load)

If the car runs great, has power but the marks just don't line up, It shouldn't be the Chain..

But you can check by pulling #1 plug , On Compression, get a big straw like they give you at the stop and rob for a 64 Oz. Drink and place that in the #1 plug hole.

Spin that up after you find compression, until the straw will only move down no matter WHICH way you turn the engine, THAT is exact TDC , compression, and check the timing marks..If they don't line up, you have a mechanical problem, (slipped Chain, wrong cover, bad balancer/pulley) .

Next (no matter where the marks are.) pull the cap and check the rotor position, It should point to # 1 plug tower, at about 5 to 7 O'clock, If you have that, (and it was running good), paint a line at the TDC mark in yellow paint. use that for your timing bench mark.

Then Find out why mechanically the marks don't line up, either a balancer out of run out, or wrong cover, you can rule out timing chain , if it runs good..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Chevrolet V8s have the number 1 cylinder at the driver's side front. 1-3-5-7 are on the driver's side bank, 2-4-6-8 are on the passenger side.

Ford V8s are numbered 1 on the passenger side front, 1-2-3-4 are on the passenger side and 5-6-7-8 are on the driver's side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts