Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 S10 and I'v recently put a 350 in it with a 5 speed behind it. 1986 Block. The bottom end is stock with flat top pistons. I had the rotating assembly balanced and the cam I have is a Blue Racer by Crane Cam. It has 224/234 duration at .050 and .465/.488 lift, Lp is 114.It is a hydraulic flat tappet. I have the edelbrock E-tec 200 Cylinder Heads which have 2.02/1.60 valves 64cc, 200cc runners. A performer intake with a A.E.D 650 H.O. Carb, and 1.5.1 Roller Rockers, and a MSD ignition System. 10.2.1 compression. Sanderson headers 1 3/4" primary's and 3" collectors.

My Question is I need some Cam help. This cam performs fine but it has little sound it sounds stock when the engine warms up. and I want a lopey cam, but I don't really want to take the heads back off to check clearance. I was wanting to know if you guys knew what to use. Judging by the numbers I thought it would lope but it doesn't. Any help would be appreciated.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I think that along with picking up some of the sound that you want with a bigger cam, you would also pick up quite a bit of performance. Those heads are capeable of supporting a lot more RPM than that cam is built for. I know what you are talking about with respect to the idle. I had the comp xe268h in a 355 wtih vortec heads (224 230 @.050 .477 .480 lift 110 lsa) and it sounded really stock when the motor was warmed up. The fact that your lobe separation is 114 is also taming the idle. The only reason I would run something that high is if you are running forced induction or nitrous, or you are specifically looking for a smooth idle. I dont know what the use of the motor is, but if it is only something that is driven on the weekends, not something that is driven everyday, I would recommend something like the comp XE284H cam (240 246 @.050 .507 .510 lift 110 lsa). I realize your concern about valve clearance, I cannot say for sure if it will clear or not, but someone on here may be able to give you an idea. You would also want to make sure that your springs could support a cam like this. This cam would probably not start to make good power until ~2800 RPM, but it would easily pull to 6000+ and I think you would pick some noticable hp. This cam would probably also effect power brakes if you have them, so that is something else you might want to think about. One other thing to keep in mind is your intake. Right now, your cam and intake are matched well, but they are both a little small to take advantage of your heads. If you use a bigger cam, your heads and cam will match, but your intake will become a restriction. You could get a bigger cam and a different intake to solve this problem, or get another cam that is about the same size as the one you have, but get it ground with a little less lobe separation. The Comp Cams has a new Thumpr line of hyd roller cams that achieve this. They are probably not exactly what you are looking for being that they are rollers, but they should give you an idea of a direction to go.

Thumpr cams
http://www.compcams.com/thumpr/

Also j mark brought up a good point about emissions if you have them.

Adam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Where I live anything under 1995 gets a safety sticker no emissions. Thanks for the help. I know the valve springs will hold .600 lift according to edelbrock. My exhaust is 2 1/2" pipes with an H pipe and two 40 series flowmasters.

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
A 114 is for a blower motor, you need a 109-110 it will make for a more lopey idle. I think ya got the wrong cam. But when you do that you might have to change the converter. But it should give a big performance gain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.