Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i have a 383 stroker that i put in my 87 camaro a few weeks ago and there is a problem. its the tpi setup with everything factory and when i first start it it runs fine but as soon as i drive it about 30 sec it wont rev at all it wont do anything besides idle. now if i turn the car off then back on it does fine again but after that 30 sec it runs like crap again. can someone help me

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Sounds like something in the computer system/sensors. With a 383 in an 87 you will not be able to run it on the stock computer setup TPI. You will need at the very minimum a different prom and injectors.

Or it sounds like clogged cats, or too small exhaust with cats.

A little more detail is needed please.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it doesnt have a cat and it ran fine intill i did a head swap now i runs like crap the cam is a xe274h and i cant figure out what the heck is going on let me know what else you need.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Check vacuum, fuel pressure etc. Any engine codes? Do you have a scanner to read sensor data? Any poping or does it just shutoff? Go through a book for like and 86 vette which has diagnostic routines. Test the fuel pump relay, MAF relay etc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the tps, iac, and maf are all brand new the only codes it threw was an 02 and that was cause it was unhooked. can someone tell me what my readings on all my sensors should be like iac and things?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
jo5hi3 said:
the tps, iac, and maf are all brand new the only codes it threw was an 02 and that was cause it was unhooked. can someone tell me what my readings on all my sensors should be like iac and things?
it is impossible to run a computer controlled viehicle without an O2 sensor.

The car will not run once the ECM reaches a certain time after start. For 80's cars(g-body carbed) I know it was something like 5 mins it would run on a default setting, and then start follow what all the sensors said. I might be wrong on how much time it takes, but the car will not run without it knowing what the fuel/air ratio is.

Also what heads did you install? You can not up the compression without a prom/cam change sometimes.

Only sensor default I can tell ya for that car would be the O2 should be at around .675-.875mv while idling/cruising, and go up to .9XXmv while accelerating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.