Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has a chart of the different bellhousings Chrysler is now using on the small v-8s and Hemis from about 1990 to 2007.

im wondering if they are using a somewhat similiar pattern to years past or if they created a new pattern or even if the pattern is the same between the different v-8/Hemi lines... im looking for as much info as any one may have on these newer Hemi & non-hemi chrysler v-8s!
Thanks,
Thean

·
Registered
17 Posts
Chrysler kept the bell housing bolt pattern the same as the old Hemi . It will bolt up. I saw an article about the new Hemi in Car Craft or PHR a couple months back. Not sure about other V8's.
I had a 2000 durango R/T. The 5.9 (360) is a great motor!

·
Registered
257 Posts
"....Chrysler kept the bell housing bolt pattern the same as the old Hemi ....."

Not quite correct, the early Hemi (and Poly) engines eventually evolved into the the latter LA small blocks. While the bellhousing bolt patterns are similiar, there not an exact bolt up and require a spacer plate (inpart due to the crank overhang but also for a couple of lower bolt holes).

The "new" hemis use the same bellhousing as the LA small blocks and because of that will allow bolting up earlier Mopar LA small block (318/340/360) transmissions.

This bolt pattern is not the same as the Big Block (383/413/440 etc) wedges or second generation 426 Hemi, so those transmissions/bellhousings will not fit on the new Hemis

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
1957Plymouthhemi is correct.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Which is interesting, as the newer Hemi automatics *should* then bolt up to the LA 318/340/360 and early 331/354/392 Hemis if the crank flange to bellhousing depth is accounted for....
:confused:

·
Registered
257 Posts
They should (although honestly I haven't followed newer transmission developement too closely) so I'm not real up to date on what Chrysler is using right now. I currently running an A833 (overdrive version) in my Plymouth and am planning on doing a SB 727 for my 37 Dodge PU.

One thing I would loook at would be what transmission functions are computer controled and what would be required to make them function behind an early HEMI

There are adaptors out there for the SB 727 and 518 (4 speed OD torqueflight) along with a bunch of others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts