Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a Hemi motor that I am trying to figure out what it is. It is part of my brothers estate and looking for someone who knows thier Hemi's. All i have is apicture of it and can e-mail it out. Only #s I can see are the first of them which are 132. It says Chrysler Fire power on the valve covers and it has a extended bellhousing on the back of the motor that extends about ten inches past the heads. Any help would be great. Thanks Alan At [email protected]

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: Alan ]

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: Alan ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am certainly not an expert on the old hemi engines but I would guess that you have a very early one. The extended block is for the old fluid drive torque converter/clutch assembly. Chrysler corp had three types of fluid drives that I can recall. They were all nicknamed "Klunk O Matics". :) Your engine is most likely a 331 CI 180HP engine. I had one out of a 52 Imperial years ago. I ran so smooth you had to look at the oil pressure gauge to see if it was running. I intended to put it in a 53 Merc but could never find a way around the extended block. Good Luck Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your help everybody. I am most certain that it is a 331 Hemi. Don't really know if anyone is looking for one but then again I don't know if I can sell it or not yet. It was my brothers and his girlfriend gave it away and don't know if it's worth getting it back. They said I can come pick it up, So if anyone wants one shoot me an offer and I can arrange something. It is currently located in Colorado. Once again thanks!

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: Alan ]

·
Registered
447 Posts
You have a 51 331 Chrysler hemi. Even with the extended bell housing they are a very good engine. A lot of the first hemi's even had hard valve seats, you can use todays junk unleaded fuel. These early hemi's have a low compression piston and a very mild hydraylic cam. They were extremely smooth running. Check the old hemi web sites and I think a company makes a adapter to use this engine with a 3 speed manual trans. Whatever you do, don't throw away the cast iron combination timing cover, waterpump assembly. Youll never find another one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts