Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '37 ford custom de luxe, 4 door. I want to chop the roof and doors to convert the oldie to a convertible. Can anyone please advice and perhaps send some pic's or drawings? Further I would appreciate any drawings for a mustang II IFS to fit on this mentioned ford. Thanx; Hendrik

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
That's a pretty common car to put an MII frontend on. There are probably 6 or more companies that make kits.You will have better results using one of the available crossmembers than trying to adapt one from an MII. I know, I've replaced at least 3 with aftermarket crossmembers because the MII is not "cleanly" adapted to an early narrow chassis.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
You are looking at alot of work to make that car a convertible, as once you cut the roof off and the tops of the doors you will have to make a filler panel to cap each one off.

The windshield posts will need some reinforcing because the current roof helps support it.
In order to retain your side windows functionality all of the glass run channels will need to be replaced with deeper channels and new taller window glass will have to be cut. Otherwise when you roll up the window and it no longer has the door frame to run in, it will flop around.

You could do away with the windows alltogether. Many people who make a sedan into an open car do that.

The "B" pillar will definatly need to be reinforced. Like the windshield, it 's strength is dependant on the roof. Cut the roof and the doors will never stay aligned. I know of a guy who welded his rear doors up when he cut the top.

Speaking of doors, you will need to replace the stock "plunger" type door latches with some type of rotary latch that will capture the striker bolt. Most all roadster and phaeton latches usually incorporate some type of provision to keep the door aligned with the body in all directions. A roadster body will flex during use and the doors will open.

Reinforcement of the body and doors can be accomplished by bracing it with square tubing, attaching it from the floor to the door jambs and around the perimeter of all areas that get cut. A big "X" brace at the rear of the body is advisable also.
This should be done before the cut edges get capped.

Here is a 33 pickup that used to be a closed cab. It is in process in my shop right now. I did all of the things to it that were mentioned in this post. I made custom windshield posts and the associated structure, as the stock ones just didn't look right.

Hope this helps, Mikey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts