Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 79 chevy 2wd pick up that has a 350 in it, edelbrock carb, wieand intake, headers, th400 with small stall and shift kit. it has a hesitation to it at take off but if you stab the go pedal it picks up and runs like a champ, do you think that maybe it is just the carb needing tweeked or what. what do yall think?

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
ah yes, the old "edelbrock stumble." Actually you may want do a search about edelbrock and hesitation, start, take off, stumble or bog. I know I've seen at least a dozen of these threads in the years I've been around this site.

First thing to check is your timing. Your timing can affect your carburetor, but your carburetor cannot affect your timing. Get that where you want it first. I would recommend 12 initial as a starting point and a relatively aggressive curve (especially if you're dealing with a lower-compression motor). Most guys want all in by 2500. If you can do that, great. I realize your problem is before 2500 RPM, but springs that are a bit more loose will toss in a couple more degrees at 1000 RPM which probably is where you are having the problem.

Edelbrocks are pretty tunable. Make sure your idle mixture is set by the book, first off. The next thing I'd look at is the accelerator pump setting. There are 3 slots in the arm to choose from, each offers a different squirt length. To be honest, this is one of the reasons I like Holley. I think there are 12 different pump cams, each with 2 settings. 24 available settings vs 3, but I digress! Ha ha, that's not entirely true though, because edelbrock's rod/jet/spring combos add to the off-idle characteristics of the carb as well. The springs are rated by vacuum to show when the tapered rod begins to open the jet up to more fuel flow. You can choose a spring that will raise the rod more slowly.

Alternatively, you could call edelbrock's help line!

K

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.