Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a favor...In this pic...can you snap a closer pic showing how you made the shelves? I think I know but not quite sure. Sure has gave me an idea for my garage though.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I'll shoot a couple shots later today...but to tide you over, a brief explanation. The shelves are about as simple as you can get. I just built rectangles out of 2x3s (8 feet long and 10 inches wide). The backside 8 foot length is screwed to the studs in the wall (put a level on it of course) and then a leg or legs was added at each corner. Then I just screwed a pre-made, 12", pressed wood shelf (from Menards, Home Depot etc.) on the top. The work bench portion is also built on a 2x3 framework with a supporting "stud" every 16" and then the wider, 24" shelving material on the top.

I've used this shelving material for workbenches before. It gets beat up pretty bad so it needs to be repainted from time to time if you want it to look real purdy. You also need to reinforce it anywhere you are putting a vice or other heavy duty tool. You also need to be careful banging along the edge because the stuff can break right off. BTW, I have a 2x4 work table (you can see it in one of the pics) where I do my really major banging. It's made with 2x12s on the top and then skinned over with plywood. So that's where I do my real abuse.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Kevin,

Here are a couple shots. The first is taken from the underside of a shelf. The second is taken from the underside of the work bench. Hope you can figure them out okay.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With only two legs on the shelf... I was wondering about the rest, but aI guess the end is tied into the wall and the other is supported by the opposite shelf.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Yup, you are right. In that first shot, down at the far end of the shelf, I just happened to have a wall stud about 7" out from back wall and was able to screw the short 2x3 right to that. On one of the other walls (not shown in these pics) I didn't luck out like that and had to put another leg down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts