Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys,
Newbie here on this site. Recently moved down from NY to North Miami, FL. Looking to find a job in an auto restoration or hot rod shop in the Miami Area. 23 years old here and want to learn everything there is to know about hot rods and restorations..willing to learn and work hard.

Anyone know of a shop thats looking for a worker/helper? It would be greatly appreciated if anyone has info on something.

Thanks,
Elliot

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep searching

Don't give up searching for that job!!! eventually some old timer will take you under there wing. I am in the same boat with the exception that im in Canada where rod shops are few and far between. Also unfortunately some old timers don't take us seriously because of age which really sucks because young guys can give a different opinions on looks etc. Anyways keep searching and good luck!!!!!

Better yet why don't you open a shop down south and I'll come and work there now were both happy:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roscone

Hey Rosscone
Thanks for the encouragement....
I'm STILL looking for that job here in FL, working for an auto restoration shop.

Whats your email adress? Mines [email protected]

How old are you? WHat field are u currently in? Do you know whats involved in opening a hot rod shop, cuz i would totaly do it and open one up if we could come up with the money...hehe

email me.
Elliot

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 26 years old and I now have my own garage here in Oakville just outside of Toronto. I recently stopped working at a street rod shop because I put to much effort in and got nothing in return. I started there for free just to prove myself and prove that I was no riceburning kid from fast and furious, instead I proved to those guys that I was straight outta the sixties, anyways a guy there just looked at it as a job and really did'nt make an effort to teach the skilkls that he was taught to others. Oh yeah there was no talk about a pay check either so I had to go and start my own business just repairing older cars I've only been on my own for a few months and I'm slowly getting busy
I recently finished a 64 t bird for a customer and one of the other fun ones was 1968 ford mustang GT 390 s code car for a family friend hopefully I will be able to put up pics soon. Anyways gotta go breakfast is reading we'll talk later.

Dude it's nice to dream, but money has very little to do with a hot rod shop. You need guys with all of the tricks, masters of the english wheel and power hamers. guys who can chop roofs with there eyes closed, there out there but either they can't be bothered anymore or they have their own shop. I've thought about it many times if only I could get some oldtimer to work with me for a year and be my mentor I'll go and get the work, do all the rough stuff and leave the picaso sorta stuff to the old timer works out good right? where are the old timers!!!!!For the shop you will not only need to find all the metal working stuff but someone to use them. It will cost some money but the key for us young guys is to find the old guys first. Keep searching.

P.S if I find any oldtimers in canada i'll bring him with me to the states!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a plan

Sounds good- i wish you lots of luck with your shop...I hear what yer saying when you say that money isnt the issue, its finding the people...

Between all these forums, if we post a THREAD calling all experienced Hot Rod or custom builders, I have confidence we can reach the right people....

Maybe a thread Calling the attention of All and ANY old timers who have either retired or dont have the patience to run a whole shop, but are willing to spend time in a shop, get paid well, and enjoy their role as a guide, leader, in the shop, delegating all the jobs and what has to be done...in other words, Older men who dont want the bother of a shop of their own, but willing to get a nice paycheck for running and delegating the work...something along those lines but with Great Incentive in a great motivated environment- can definitely come up with good stuff...lemme know what u think....im totally up for it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts