Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 T/A with a 403 that i will be replacing with a pontiac 400 what would be the best way to build up the 400 it will a some what of a daily driver. I want to bore it .30 or .60. I want to get at least 450HP out of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mid daily driver, i would think the 30 over would be better.

But someone else with more experience may be able to give you a better idea.

·
BRB carring
522 Posts
u wont get any noticeable performance from boring an engine out, the only purpose of it is to clean the cylinder walls up, an ideal situation is if u only have to have them honed, the cylinder walls are left thicker and stronger.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
79transam man said:
what about boring it? I was going to go for .30 or .60 which one is better of the two for a mid daily driver?
You need to get the cylinders of your block measured with a micrometer. When you know what the current size of the cylinders are, you then bore them out to the next size available piston, unless they are still within specs for a standard size. If they are in standard range, you need them honed for new rings.

Boring is done only for one purpose...to straighten the cylinders out for new pistons.

Never bore a block out any more than is needed to fit new pistons to.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wuzzup man:) I have the same car. I decided to go with a 400 chevy motor instead of a Pontiac because of parts availability and ease of modification. You can use all sbc parts as they interchange and you get great TQ over a 350. If you're looking at buying a Pontiac 400 make sure you at least get the 6X casting heads.

·
1,053 Posts
79transam man said:
thanks for the info, what about doing a stroke for it is there a package kit for stroking it?
Your welcome.

To increase stroke you need a new crank with a longer throw.

Look at the chiefmanyhorses site, you should find what you need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Odium said:
Wuzzup man:) I have the same car. I decided to go with a 400 chevy motor instead of a Pontiac because of parts availability and ease of modification. You can use all sbc parts as they interchange and you get great TQ over a 350. If you're looking at buying a Pontiac 400 make sure you at least get the 6X casting heads.
You put a chevy 400 in a trans am how did that work what did you have to fab it up as far as motor mounts

·
Registered
150 Posts
79transam man said:
You put a chevy 400 in a trans am how did that work what did you have to fab it up as far as motor mounts
It worked out great. The Camaro and Firebird are the same body and frame so the chevy small block motor mounts out of a Camaro will work. I never tried puting the shaker hood back on as I found an L-88 glass hood so you may have to look into how that would go back on. I also put a TH-400 trans in instead of the stock TH-350 so I'm not sure if the bellhousing is the same for a Pontiac and Chevy motor as I ordered the trans to mount the the sbc 400.

Forgot to mention, I changed out the stock exhaust manifolds for chevy small block headers as the Pontaic manifolds wouldn't fit the chevy heads.

·
1,053 Posts
79transam man said:
I have a 79 T/A with a 403 that i will be replacing with a pontiac 400 what would be the best way to build up the 400 it will a some what of a daily driver. I want to bore it .30 or .60. I want to get at least 450HP out of it.
Just what exactly is a Qucik?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Hey Got A Qucik?

Lonestar said:
Just what exactly is a Qucik?
\its called typing to fast lol. OK what i decided to do is stick with the 403 for a little bit but i do what do get some performance out of it so i looked into getting some diffrent heads and i found that the 72 350 7A heads are good but i have to drill the bolt holes 17/32 i think is there anything elise id have to do to make them fit?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts