Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I`m gettin ready to do a little touch up work on the ol beasts paint. Ive got some scratches that have some minor rust. Just wondering what you would recommend for this, and any other advice would be great...lay it on me man!! Its med olive :eek: Where can I find a good match... I havent really looked around yet. Thanks in advance, HK! :D C.D. I forgot to mention this is kind of a band-aid deal. Hopefully I can save up enough to get her new paint one of these days, but money is really tight right now. Thanks!

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: 72 chevy ]</p>

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If its just some little touchups I would just get one of those pen sanders eastwood sells, you could probably find it at your local paintshop for much less. Sand the rust and the paint. If your truck is a GM color go to your local paintshop and look through the touchup rack. They are little single stage paints with little touchup brushes. If the brush is to big use the torn edge of a matchbook match. If its a custom color get your paint guy to mix you a pint of single stage and use the torn edge of a matchbook match for the brush. Wait untill it dries and buff the entire truck with a wool pad and Meguires NO. 7. That should take care of your touchup and scratches.

HK

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
Ya' might want them to take a snapshot of the paint on the truck so they can mix it to match the years of fading etc. I know if I had them mix up the original color so I could touch up mine, it would look almost as bad as doing nothing. You've seen my truck and it's color, it used to be the exact same color as Dion's truck. :)

HK must've just forgot to mention that. I only know this from my brother, and I'm not sure if they can take the camera out to the parking lot or not to take the snapshot. The last truck me and my brother painted, we took the jockey box door off and took it to them to get the picture. :)

Oh yeah, buff the truck/portion out first if your'e gonna have the pic taken for paint matching. Otherwise, the paint they match will be different from the finished job. ;)

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: BstMech ]

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: BstMech ]</p>

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys! Always good to get a few opinions on something! Id really like to go with a different color someday, but for now I guess shes the green machine. It aint really faded a lot, as it was repainted the original medium olive about twelve years ago, and spent most of that time in my father-in-laws garage. It was going to be his project, but he just didnt have the time to really do much to it. When he started talkin about sellin it...I went into "BEG MODE" took me a few years and 2500 to talk him out of her, but now shes mine. :D Anybody that thinks these old trucks dont make good hot rods....can give me a hindlick ;) CD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.