Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, my names matt, im from SK,CA, just stumbled across this forum and i thought it looked great, i own a 1966 chevy 1/2ton fleetside, was hoping i could get some good hints on this site to make my daily driver alot nicer to drive, i like old school, trying to keep it low tech so when it needs fixing it can be done cheap and fast by myself lol. neway love the site, greetings to all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i put some shorter springs in the rear and the one si thought i could put up front are too soft, any alternatives to lowering it a little bit in the front end? not including wheel allignment of course.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
If you still have the original tall springs, just torch off one coil. This will lower it about 2" and the effect on the ride will be unnoticeable. I do this trick all the time on MII installations on street rods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought about that, but i also remebered doing that to my uncle 84 gmc 1/2ton, the heat from the torch had a really negative effect on the coil. are the older springs different, maybe i just got them too hot last time?

i also wont hae access to a torch till april, just had a blizzard and the shop ive been using is out in the country =(

i dont trust backroads in the winter either, might hafta just get some ideas and write em down for a while.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Wow! If you do it right, the heat affected zone on the spring wire should be only a quarter an inch or so past the weld. Shouldn't have any affect on the active coils at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts