Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new and i am 16. I have a 1962 Chevy Stepside shortbox truck that i am restoring for my first project. And came here looking for ideas. I have $10,000 Can. that i can spend on it. I have been looking on the www.classicperform.com website and is interested in geting the Front disk brake kit, lowering kits, bed conversion gas tank, and the powersteering kit. I am also looking at converteing the manual 3 on the tree to auto. I was looking to build the 383 Stroker with Th400 tranny. What kind of gears will i need if i want good gas milege and the ocasional dragracing.

Thanks for the Help
Cody:p

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
concentrate on one thing at a time

What motor is in the truck?
A 350 is cheapest to build.
Especially if you already have a good core.

Why a 383?
A 400 will cost about the same as a 383 stroker and give you more torque and hp.

Lowering the truck may defeat the purpose of a drag racer.
You will want to put in 10/90 front shocks and 50/50 rears.

You will not get good gas mileage and have a good e/t.
What rear end do you have now?

I would concentrate on a motor package. Then decide if you want an auto and a high stall convertor. Try out the truck and then decide on a rear end.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now all it has is the 235 straight six engine. I had a chance about buying a 400 but i talked to a mechanic and he said they overheat easily and wont be a good engine for a 16 year old racing around. I am pretty the sure the gears are 3:55 but im not 100% sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.