Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a reader for a while, but now I finally decided to join and start trying to be more involved... mostly asking questions. ;)

my car:
1979 Chevy malibu. currently primer grey with tan vinyl top.
We built it over one weekend and it drove for the entire long haul (over 3000 miles from home, to tour, and home again) on the 2004 hot rod power tour!!! It's a cheap beater, plain and simple.

Motor:
stock 350 SBC from a 1988 chevy caprice cop car. (fun!)
-stock rollercam, crank, etc.
-stock heads (87-95 heads)
-edelbrock performer intake
-carter afb 600cfm carb
-headers
-dual aftermarket exhaust w/ flowmasters.

trans:
TH700R4

nothing else fancy... yet.
Hopefully with some help from the boards, it'll be smokin soon. (although it smokes the tires nicely now. ;) )

-Frank

·
Home Built Rods No Rules
750 Posts
Welcome as long as your having fun with what you build thats all that matters :welcome:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
absolutely. I've always wanted to learn to work on cars, but I've always needed to keep my daily driver driving daily... :)

So... my friends had this idea, try to build a car for $1400 in 14 hours that can run in the 14s..

So we found a 79 malibu for $350, an 88 caprice cop car for $350, which served as the engine/trans donor. Then, we tried to buy as many parts as possible from the junkyard, but some things just had to be purchased new.

We got all the parts ready, pulled, cleaned, and painted the motor, and then set a date for the build-up. We all converged at my friend's place on a beautiful weekend in march and started the "14 hour project".... something like 18 hours later, we had a running car. There were a few snags and a couple of major time delays (who forgot to buy welding wire!!!), but it all worked out and the end result was a car that ran (and is still running) for over 3500 miles with no mechanical problems.

So, this is definitely about fun.

A couple of weeks ago, though, I made the mistake of going to a local dragstrip, (KCIR), for their friday night open track drags. ($20 to run as many times as you can... I didn't run, though). After seeing how much fun that is, I want to get the car up to a point where it's at least respectable and fun to drive on the strip. Mainly I just want something that's fun to drive on long trips but is still able to smoke em when called for. ;)

I made another post in the main engine boards about the car and asked for suggestions about what people think I should do to take it to the next level. we'll see what is suggested, and maybe I'll hit the track for some "before and after" numbers to see how it turned out.

-Frank

:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts