Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only had to read through one thread here to know I had found the right place. Not only do you guys know lots but you seem real friendly and helpful as well.

I currently own a 1980 Mercury Capri that I bought on my first date with my wife. What an adventure that was. I've painted it and changed the powertrain but nothing too crazy (351W and C4).

I am almost finished a 1954 Ford NAA tractor but it has been my goal since I was a kid to build a car from the frame up. That dream began to become a reality 2.5 years ago when I bought a 1947 Ford Fordor from a friend of my dad's that had been sitting on a concrete slab on his farm my whole life and many years before that. Since acquiring it, I've blasted all the body except for the underside of the floor (need a rotisserie) and coated it in red epoxy. I've built and installed new rocker boxes front to back and replaced the trunk floor. I've built new running boards but they aren't done yet and a few other pieces. The metal work is basically done except for the rear fender at the bottom and the dog legs in front of the rear wheel opening.
Most of my attention has been on the chassis. I was going to use a newer frame but when I saw the original I quickly changed my mind. It is strong, beautiful, and too complex to bother trying to make the body fit a newer frame. Instead I installed a 1992 Ford TBird IRS in the back and a crown Vic front frame and IFS on the front. Time will tell if that was wise but so far I'm happy with it. The frame is together and the body is back on and I am super pleased with how everything fits. You'd swear the Crown Vic tranny was made for the fatty's x frame. I have lots of room between the motor and stock firewall, the body is sitting on all the original mounts and the only major fab job left is a custom rad support. I may do a tilt forward front end. Haven't decide yet. Haven't picked a paint colour yet but lot's of time for that. I'll be getting the adapters for the rear end to convert the bolt pattern to the crown vic pattern up front. They will also serve to widen the rear stance to more closely match the front. Looking forward to seeing a matching set of wheels and tires on it. Next step is to take the body off again and finish the frame, paint it, rough in the brake lines etc... I can post some pics of her if someone tells me how. Looking forward to your input along the way! :welcome:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Poncho! It's a good thing I'm better with tools then with technology :eek:)

The little guy is my son. He started working on this when he was 3 and now he's almost 6. The pic of the frame is him jacking it up. You can see the jack under the rear of the frame and him blocking the wheels at the front. I caught him doing this all by himself. When he discovered how a jack worked there weren't enough cars on the farm for him to jack up.
Today I finally got the hood (now painted) back on the 1954 Ford NAA tractor I'm restoring. He was helping me and was just amazed at the results after seeing it apart for so long. He's a little Hot Rodder in the making... :eek:)

If anyone wants to see a pic of the tractor I will attempt to post it... :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.